To tank or not to tank...

Nephelle

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Haha that's awesome. I have a mini wreath, and a mini "Happy Halloween" sign.

OMG! I want to see!! I am so excited for the terrarium set up and decorating, too LOL. Granted, she bulldozes everything like a tiny shelled godzilla, but it's still fun :)

If you are down for the decorating and planting stuff, you most likely will want that bigger area, just saying :) I am already trying to figure out how to grow plants in there (and moss!), since my first try didn't work out. I actually just ordered another light to try out for plants on the non-basking end. With more space, I feel like I could have a blast planting in there :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Glass tanks are purdy....If you can get a big enough foot print, I'd use one hands down!

Can't see this through a tub wall... ;)
2015-09-02_17.50.33.jpg

I had prettier setups but this is the only photo on my phone right now.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Glass tanks are purdy....If you can get a big enough foot print, I'd use one hands down!

Can't see this through a tub wall... ;)
View attachment 152253

I had prettier setups but this is the only photo on my phone right now.

I love everything about that picture!!! Also I really like how you positioned the hides, that would probably encourage exploring all of them. AND THE MOSS. The moss is soooooo nice. I'd really like the ability to make a show piece while she is in the house and little.

hahahaha I am turning in enclosure circles!!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I love shallow tanks! Mine is heavily planted and the babies don't seem to have any desire to run into glass walls. They get plenty of outside time and are usually very happy to go back to their "bedroom"
"ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445713720.265524.jpg here is the cool side (80F)[
ATTACH=full]153559[/ATTACH]here is the warm side with basking area. There are hides on both sided and I see the babies use both seemingly at random:) [
ATTACH=full]153560[/ATTACH]here is the live moss on one side of water dish well (I think you were referring to my "moss thread" earlier)[
ATTACH=full]153561[/ATTACH] bio-substrate with earthworms (you can see parts of 3 of them close to the moss, they usually wiggle right into the substrate so hard to take good picture) and will be adding pillbugs as soon as I can find some)[
ATTACH=full]153562[/ATTACH] this is How I covered it with reptile terrarium screen cover, light fixtures sit on top of it and construction insulation material over remaining open areas of the screen sealing it off
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714358.391421.jpgthe babies seem to love their bedroom[
ATTACH=full]153569[/ATTACH] I'm always searching for plants that are native to areas of South America my babies' ancestors come from. The challenge is the high temps and keeping roots from getting to soggy.
I think that decorating the habitat is our common interest

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445713814.936275.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445713814.936275.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445713933.660866.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445713933.660866.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714017.664416.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714017.664416.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714198.738535.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714198.738535.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
  • ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714448.112878.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445714448.112878.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 15

dwright27

5 Year Member
I had no idea that glass tanks were acceptable for Russians. I have my RF in one, but in most places *cough*Facebook*cough* you become subject to a lynching if you even consider putting a desert-type tort in a glass tank. What has changed, if anything?

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I had no idea that glass tanks were acceptable for Russians. I have my RF in one, but in most places *cough*Facebook*cough* you become subject to a lynching if you even consider putting a desert-type tort in a glass tank. What has changed, if anything?

My RT is about 4 months old now, and I am following the caresheet written by @Tom for russian hatchlings, where humidity and hydration are primary factors. So far, my little kid is going through her first big growth spurt with no signs of pyramiding, and is as healthy and active as they come :)

His sheet is pinned to the top of the RT section if you'd like to take a look. From what I've read, there are some big differences in information from FB and this forum. I am too new an owner to have an opinion on long term outcomes, but as for my tanked baby, she's great :)

Alaskamike

South Florida
I like tanks too. Had many a fish tank over the years and would often turn all the lights out at night and just sit and watch the fish - more interesting and relaxing than TV

Tanks are easy to clean , water friendly and tight , and nice to look at.
They work well for closed chambers for babies. All my tortoises get and are too large for even a 125 gal. Now. Expect maybe my small Redfoot ,

It's just so much easier ( and cheaper) to build a plywood enclosure with a glass or plexiglass front with a large footprint.

Back when I had fish , I built a few large tanks myself. It really is not very difficult , but the cost of having thick plate glass cut and beveled for you can be a factor. But for those who are willing to spend the $ , it might be a viable alternative to wood. And in that way you can get a larger floor space , which is all the tort has to live on.

My brother raised Tegu lizards for a time, and built all his own enclosures. All out of glass. They were spectacular ! And he kept them in his living room.

With the internet nowadays. You can find detailed instructions on how to do almost anything.

dwright27

5 Year Member
My RT is about 4 months old now, and I am following the caresheet written by @Tom for russian hatchlings, where humidity and hydration are primary factors. So far, my little kid is going through her first big growth spurt with no signs of pyramiding, and is as healthy and active as they come :)

His sheet is pinned to the top of the RT section if you'd like to take a look. From what I've read, there are some big differences in information from FB and this forum. I am too new an owner to have an opinion on long term outcomes, but as for my tanked baby, she's great :)

But would this still be suitable for an adult?

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
But would this still be suitable for an adult?

No, this is the recommended care for babies. Adult care does not recommended tanks for Russians :) The caresheets are awesome resources, tho, if you are curious about comparing them to other information you've found!

dwright27

5 Year Member
No, this is the recommended care for babies. Adult care does not recommended tanks for Russians :) The caresheets are awesome resources, tho, if you are curious about comparing them to other information you've found!

That's what I thought. Now it all makes sense, lol! I was looking at Russians before I got my RF (my avatar picture is about 2 years old.. he's much bigger now) but having him in a tank is better for my household (less chance of the cat getting in). So, tropical it is! lol