1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

To the new people of the forum!

Discussion in 'Tortoise FAQs - New and need help?' started by drew54, Oct 16, 2018.

1. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Indiana
    It wouldn't bother me to answer the same questions over and over if the people asking them understood a few points mentioned. I work with kids so I am answering the same questions all day long lol but I also know as a newbie owner I still have tons of questions and know matter how much you read it isn't the same as experiencing it. I think what you're doing will benefit both sides. Only if there was a way to calm "new hatchling syndrome" as I line to call it. I know being a new owner I've been freaking out, reading, asking questions, reading, freaking out, and so on. This obviously is due to being new and not knowing and witnessing tortoise behavior before. So, what's right and what's wrong is still left for me to discover and no matter how much I read is not the same as experiencing it. That's not t sry that I don't keep all the info in my mind and utilize it. What if there were a video care sheet section? I think the visuals would help any member for that. Time would be a huge factor, but what are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Actually, time wouldn't bee an issue as any member can post a short video explaining what they are doing, their set up, etc. Then place videos in corresponding section. Soaking, feeding, etc. Therese would also be good for health issues. This is my set up, this is my tort, this is what's wrong, how long it's been going on, this is what the forum recommended, and the visual of what they are doing. I'm soaking Mr orange in Pedialyte and carrot mixture for 45 min then I'm am applying (meds) to eyes, etc. Just a thought on visual learning and members wouldn't have to always repeat info as much. In theory.
    Changa likes this.
  2. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I'm trying to turn the "Tortoise FAQs -New and Need Help" section into a place we can refer those "same questions over and over" to so that we don't have members getting tired of answering them.[/QUOTE]
    That's probably a really good thing to do...but having you old guys and gals giving a warm hello and welcome is so reassuring that it would be sadly missed.
    Changa and drew54 like this.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Supporter

Clovis, CA
    That's probably a really good thing to do...but having you old guys and gals giving a warm hello and welcome is so reassuring that it would be sadly missed.[/QUOTE]
    Oh, we would still be here welcoming new members and answering questions, but for the most frequently asked questions, instead of typing a lengthy answer, we can just do this:

"Many of our new members have asked about letting their tortoise roam around on the floor. Here's what one of our members has to say about that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...o-roam-around-on-the-floor-of-my-room.162445/"
    Cathie G, Changa and drew54 like this.
  4. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    Oh, we would still be here welcoming new members and answering questions, but for the most frequently asked questions, instead of typing a lengthy answer, we can just do this:

"Many of our new members have asked about letting their tortoise roam around on the floor. Here's what one of our members has to say about that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...o-roam-around-on-the-floor-of-my-room.162445/"[/QUOTE]
    Another thought...don't have carpet lol
  5. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I've been trying to find a way to tell everyone what happened to me today at the pet shop that treats me pretty good. I met a new employee that is a teenager. He was trying to help me find what I was looking for. As it turned out we struck up a conversation and he has a Russian and has been on tortoise forum. I hope and pray I didn't get him in trouble because we didn't want to stop taking...lol
    drew54 likes this.
  6. drew54

drew54 Well-Known Member

Indiana
    You could always continue the conversation here.
    Cathie G likes this.
  7. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    I'm going to try. I'll have to find out his profile name. If another employee in the pet shop was mad at him they have the problem. The manager waves to me and the young guy was helping a customer.
  8. Tidgy's Dad

Tidgy's Dad Well-Known Member

Fes, Morocco
    I'm an expert!
    (oh, no, I've just been told that should've been ex-pat) .
    Sorry.
    drew54 and Cathie G like this.
  9. Cathie G

Cathie G Active Member

Lancaster
    Yep ur an ex-pat like the rest of us.trying to figure out an animal that's schmarter then us.
    Tidgy's Dad and drew54 like this.