To the new people of the forum!

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
I'm trying to turn the "Tortoise FAQs -New and Need Help" section into a place we can refer those "same questions over and over" to so that we don't have members getting tired of answering them.
It wouldn't bother me to answer the same questions over and over if the people asking them understood a few points mentioned. I work with kids so I am answering the same questions all day long lol but I also know as a newbie owner I still have tons of questions and know matter how much you read it isn't the same as experiencing it. I think what you're doing will benefit both sides. Only if there was a way to calm "new hatchling syndrome" as I line to call it. I know being a new owner I've been freaking out, reading, asking questions, reading, freaking out, and so on. This obviously is due to being new and not knowing and witnessing tortoise behavior before. So, what's right and what's wrong is still left for me to discover and no matter how much I read is not the same as experiencing it. That's not t sry that I don't keep all the info in my mind and utilize it. What if there were a video care sheet section? I think the visuals would help any member for that. Time would be a huge factor, but what are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Actually, time wouldn't bee an issue as any member can post a short video explaining what they are doing, their set up, etc. Then place videos in corresponding section. Soaking, feeding, etc. Therese would also be good for health issues. This is my set up, this is my tort, this is what's wrong, how long it's been going on, this is what the forum recommended, and the visual of what they are doing. I'm soaking Mr orange in Pedialyte and carrot mixture for 45 min then I'm am applying (meds) to eyes, etc. Just a thought on visual learning and members wouldn't have to always repeat info as much. In theory.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
[QUOTE="LaLaP, post: 1669509.. . . You guys answer the same questions over and over and usually with lots of kindness and warmth. . .

I'm trying to turn the "Tortoise FAQs -New and Need Help" section into a place we can refer those "same questions over and over" to so that we don't have members getting tired of answering them.[/QUOTE]
That's probably a really good thing to do...but having you old guys and gals giving a warm hello and welcome is so reassuring that it would be sadly missed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm trying to turn the "Tortoise FAQs -New and Need Help" section into a place we can refer those "same questions over and over" to so that we don't have members getting tired of answering them.
That's probably a really good thing to do...but having you old guys and gals giving a warm hello and welcome is so reassuring that it would be sadly missed.
Oh, we would still be here welcoming new members and answering questions, but for the most frequently asked questions, instead of typing a lengthy answer, we can just do this:

"Many of our new members have asked about letting their tortoise roam around on the floor. Here's what one of our members has to say about that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...o-roam-around-on-the-floor-of-my-room.162445/"

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh, we would still be here welcoming new members and answering questions, but for the most frequently asked questions, instead of typing a lengthy answer, we can just do this:

"Many of our new members have asked about letting their tortoise roam around on the floor. Here's what one of our members has to say about that: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...o-roam-around-on-the-floor-of-my-room.162445/"[/QUOTE]
Another thought...don't have carpet lol

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've been trying to find a way to tell everyone what happened to me today at the pet shop that treats me pretty good. I met a new employee that is a teenager. He was trying to help me find what I was looking for. As it turned out we struck up a conversation and he has a Russian and has been on tortoise forum. I hope and pray I didn't get him in trouble because we didn't want to stop taking...lol

drew54

Indiana
I've been trying to find a way to tell everyone what happened to me today at the pet shop that treats me pretty good. I met a new employee that is a teenager. He was trying to help me find what I was looking for. As it turned out we struck up a conversation and he has a Russian and has been on tortoise forum. I hope and pray I didn't get him in trouble because we didn't want to stop taking...lol

You could always continue the conversation here.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You could always continue the conversation here.
I'm going to try. I'll have to find out his profile name. If another employee in the pet shop was mad at him they have the problem. The manager waves to me and the young guy was helping a customer.

matheny00

Anaheim, Calif
I'm not sure if any member here considers themselves to be an EXPERT. I certainly do not. Nor am I.
Though some have a great wealth of knowledge from a vast experience. Many do actually.
Myself. After about 32ish years of having/keeping RF tortoises, I find that I still learn things on a regular basis or have to rethink something because of a new experience or a suggestion by others.
I am one of the members that are guilty of sounding like I'm being rude at times. I never mean to sound that way. But it happens after I reply to most commonly asked questions or issues that need a fast reply. I have unfortunately chased away at least one member. And I actually quite liked them.
It is true that quite a lot of new members are seeking affirmation that what they are doing is correct and dislike being told that they are not. (Especially after these poor folks have spent a lot of time and money on crap they can't ever use.) I get it.
A lot of new keepers think that keeping tortoises require little more than a small fishtank and lightbulb. Never knowing beforehand how many things need to be done. Very often that person has limited money to purchase everything that they need. And many times other members offer to donate things.
Sometimes someone will join with an animal already near death. And we can not help.
Worse yet are the people who have kept tortoises for a long period of time and join the forum with photos of horribly deformed or ill animals. We attempt to help them....But they assume that they already know better than we do simply because they haven't yet managed to kill the tortoise. So they simply MUST be doing everything ok.
This forum is more like a family. It's a group of friends and strangers that all have one want. And that is to better the care of turtles and tortoises for those animals welfare. And that often means an easier life for the keeper.
That is if you can take the initial well meant criticism;)
Well I will say I'm the guy that bought everything to find out it was all wrong. Yes it was costly buy aren't most mistakes? I am thankful to all that told me I needed to change this and that. As some of you know we had a fire and the torts got tons of smoke exposure and I honestly believe that if I had not made some of the changes they needed to be healthy they would have not survived. So thank you too those that do stand up and tell us we "Bought the wrong crap"

New York
Oh yeah, for sure. When i first got a tort i had seen videos of how people let them roam in the house and thought that would be so cool, after later doing research and joining the forum, I'm glad i never did because although it is debatable, if you don't meet super important requirements it can be a death sentence for a tort. I was bummed to hear it but i knew keeping my tort in an enclosure was best for him and that's way more important than my wants. New people tend to project their wants into a tort's needs and that's when things get ugly.
So if you have an enclosure that is kinda small but that is what you have to keep your torts in for the winter It is bad to let them out N spred food around rooms so as to get them the exercise they need? Keeping in mind the rooms are " baby proofed" have hardwood or linoliume floors so cleanup is easy and sanitary? Then put them back where they get their humidity N familiar with their watering spots N hides? I would not go out and purchase more torts living in NY but do the all I can to enrich their lives and keep them healthy. Am I selfish for keeping 6 and7 yr. Old redfoots that I "rescued from a life in a 40 gal. Aquarium with no hide or soaking dish and having been abandoned? I always intended to find them a good home but have become attached and being retired have plenty of time for almost daily baths.I know that there is someone out there that can do better by them but is that not true for other pet owners?Please don't be offended by my questions and do not think That I am or will be by any response. I am here to learn and share.God Bless and thanks in advance if you responded
Patrick

New York
I'm not sure if any member here considers themselves to be an EXPERT. I certainly do not. Nor am I.
Though some have a great wealth of knowledge from a vast experience. Many do actually.
Myself. After about 32ish years of having/keeping RF tortoises, I find that I still learn things on a regular basis or have to rethink something because of a new experience or a suggestion by others.
I am one of the members that are guilty of sounding like I'm being rude at times. I never mean to sound that way. But it happens after I reply to most commonly asked questions or issues that need a fast reply. I have unfortunately chased away at least one member. And I actually quite liked them.
It is true that quite a lot of new members are seeking affirmation that what they are doing is correct and dislike being told that they are not. (Especially after these poor folks have spent a lot of time and money on crap they can't ever use.) I get it.
A lot of new keepers think that keeping tortoises require little more than a small fishtank and lightbulb. Never knowing beforehand how many things need to be done. Very often that person has limited money to purchase everything that they need. And many times other members offer to donate things.
Sometimes someone will join with an animal already near death. And we can not help.
Worse yet are the people who have kept tortoises for a long period of time and join the forum with photos of horribly deformed or ill animals. We attempt to help them....But they assume that they already know better than we do simply because they haven't yet managed to kill the tortoise. So they simply MUST be doing everything ok.
This forum is more like a family. It's a group of friends and strangers that all have one want. And that is to better the care of turtles and tortoises for those animals welfare. And that often means an easier life for the keeper.
That is if you can take the initial well meant criticism;)
You sound like an expert to me and I certainly value your comments and give them a lot of weight in determining what I should do in the future as to the care of my tort family members

New York
I want to say how much I love the tortoise forum. I'm so glad I finally found a place to get real information and experiences from people that actually have a tortoise friend. And that's what a tortoise really is. If a tortoise actually interacts with you, even if the darling is telling you what he/she wants...it's the most wonderful compliment ever. They talk...
I always intended to find a new home for the torts I aquired but when they began to interact and respond to myself and others I began to worry that the new home I would give them up to would be inadiquit for the ones I had grown to care about.Further more I worry that another new home would be stressfull on them and really not beneficial for them.I know they should and I pray will outlive me so I am always looking for their next home.I must because I care.

drew54

Indiana
So if you have an enclosure that is kinda small but that is what you have to keep your torts in for the winter It is bad to let them out N spred food around rooms so as to get them the exercise they need? Keeping in mind the rooms are " baby proofed" have hardwood or linoliume floors so cleanup is easy and sanitary? Then put them back where they get their humidity N familiar with their watering spots N hides? I would not go out and purchase more torts living in NY but do the all I can to enrich their lives and keep them healthy. Am I selfish for keeping 6 and7 yr. Old redfoots that I "rescued from a life in a 40 gal. Aquarium with no hide or soaking dish and having been abandoned? I always intended to find them a good home but have become attached and being retired have plenty of time for almost daily baths.I know that there is someone out there that can do better by them but is that not true for other pet owners?Please don't be offended by my questions and do not think That I am or will be by any response. I am here to learn and share.God Bless and thanks in advance if you responded
Patrick
I think you did a good thing by rescuing them. As far as letting them roam the house. The biggest issues are the amount of accidental deaths that occur from letting torts roam the house freely. My thoughts are if you have a room specifically for the torts to roam and do tort stuff then it shouldn't be an issue.

New York
I think you did a good thing by rescuing them. As far as letting them roam the house. The biggest issues are the amount of accidental deaths that occur from letting torts roam the house freely. My thoughts are if you have a room specifically for the torts to roam and do tort stuff then it shouldn't be an issue.
It is Me, my lab ( who is very protective of Danny and Danielle when we get company) and my torts. We are in transition as far as housing goes.They roam sparsly furnished rooms and when they find a good hiding place Hunter searches them out on command and does no harm when in an instant he finds them.I feel they benifit from the exercise and hopefully are not stressed by the different environment. Their resilience is amazing and I believe that some would underestimate them and not give them the credit they deserve for being so. I myself am amazed that they are so attracted and interact with people. Especially so when they hear a female voice it seems and even more when the female is wearing a red sweater.I think they might miss their first " caregiver" and I use that term loosly as they were left behind when those people were evicted.I equated their personalities much likey dogs full of undconditional love it seems.I certainly love respect them and again and again am amazed with them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, you're doing them a disservice by making them live on the floor of the house. Think about where they come from in South America. They have evolved over many, many years, to live in a sort of rain forest situation. The floor of your house does not replicate the rain forest. Redfooted tortoises need to be kept in a space where you can make the environment be warm and humid. Just because they live, doesn't mean they're living as they're meant to live. Take off your clothes and lay on the floor. Is it warm and humid down there?

New York
Actually, you're doing them a disservice by making them live on the floor of the house. Think about where they come from in South America. They have evolved over many, many years, to live in a sort of rain forest situation. The floor of your house does not replicate the rain forest. Redfooted tortoises need to be kept in a space where you can make the environment be warm and humid. Just because they live, doesn't mean they're living as they're meant to live. Take off your clothes and lay on the floor. Is it warm and humid down there?
I agree and believe any wild animal kept as a "pet" is being done a disservice even those that are kept penned in a yard in south fla. They dont live on my floor I allow them out for exercise and hope more stimulation than just a 4 x 8 enclosure with a glass ceiling that keeps the humidity in during our long winter's. I bring them out and let One roam while the other gets a good warm bath almost daily.I have electric heaters in an effort to keep heat on the floor and when they want they lay in front of them.they get shut in the bathroom after I fill it with humidity from the shower they get warm water spraying often. I aquired them living in NY and do the best I can for them short if moving to the rain forest. I have been told by the"experts" on Utube that 4 ft x 8 ft is adequit for their age but I try to give them more by letting them out when I Can and see roaming the limited space their enclosure provides. They certainly do not live on my floor 24 -7-f that's what you might think.

drew54

Indiana
I was slowly getting to that lol thank you Yvonne. I wasn't very clear when I said a dedicated room. I apologize, currently working. Anyway, what I meant was if the room is specifically designed to house a tort with proper heat and humidity. I know a guy who dedicated an entire room to his adult sulcata. Went all out so during the winter he has a proper enclosure.
Also, if they are housed in a small enclosure I would suggest getting a proper size for them. This can cause many issues with their growth. Letting them around dogs is a big no no also. If you search the forum you will see many incidents where the owners thought that their dog, cat, etc was good with the torts until their dog had severely injured or killed their torts.

Dogs will eventually see the torts as potential play toys and this could end badly. With them roaming the house there are so so many dangers. They could get stuck, get lost, accidental death, could eat something on the floor,; even though we can't see it there are always something they will find and eat it.
They could get caught in furniture and injure them. There are just too many issues with letting them roam freely in the house and around animals.

If you want them to freely roam dedicate a room to them and fix it up properly for their environmental needs. Temps, uvb, humidity are very very important.