To trust or not to trust?

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
So I was walking down an unmade road near my house when I noticed one side had overgrown grass and was covered with nice big weeds.
The area was not wide enough to walk on but the other side that people walk on had nice short grass and a few daisies on.

Do you think it's safe to take the weeds? The area seems to be untouched, unlike the other side.

Would you trust it?

Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would not myself. Unless I know 100% for sure what has or has not been used I don't use it.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I would not myself. Unless I know 100% for sure what has or has not been used I don't use it.
Thanks.
I just get so tempted by the big variety. In my garden I can only find dandelion and bittercress:(
I am growing more weeds but they are taking quite a while.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I saw a neglected raised flower bed yesterday crammed with dandelions. So tempting. However, it was alongside a petrol station and that was enough reason to leave well alone.

The problem with roadside weeds like you found spud is that the passing cars will flick all sorts of stuff on to them constantly.

The budget of local authorities in the UK is such that few areas have been treated with pesticides or herbicides in years - they don't even mow grass unless they have to these days.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Look for evidence of bugs eating it. If the leaves are chewed it is probably ok. Wash it good first.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I yank and feed regularly, but I keep away from busy roadsides. When I used to make wine we collected fruit in the lbs(1000s of lbs). I never took any from the roadside because of carbon monoxide poisoning from cars. I was told it can affect the fruit. So for that reason I keep clear.
I usually collect from woodland and nature walks out in the wilderness.
I keep away from golf courses too.

I would find somewhere safe and dig the whole weeds up(root, soil the lot) and replant in garden.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Thanks guys.
The road isn't busy at all.
I am going to see if there is any evidence of them being eaten and if so, grab a leaf and test. I hope they are ok so that spud can have a nice variety :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The budget of local authorities in the UK is such that few areas have been treated with pesticides or herbicides in years - they don't even mow grass unless they have to these days.
...................or even pick up litter!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I didn't realise that, does that apply to dandies and plantains etc.?
Yes.

See this http://www.plantlife.org.uk/about_us/faq/is_it_illegal_to_pick_common_wildflowers_in_the_countryside

It is not normally an offence to pick the 'Four Fs' – fruit, foliage, fungi or flowers – if the plants are growing wild and it is for your personal use and not for sale. Many rare or endangered plants – such as adder's tongue and lady's slipper orchid - are protected under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act, so picking these is against the law (although, being rare and endangered, you're unlikely to happen across them by accident!)

Picking a flower is one thing. Uprooting it entirely is another. The law strictly prohibits removing a plant from the wild and you could risk arrest for doing so.

Make sure also that the flowers you are picking are in a wild location and not on council or otherwise protected land. Any flowers growing in, for example, council parks, town or village displays, roundabouts or roadside verges are off limits as are those in nature reserves and community gardens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I was walking down an unmade road near my house when I noticed one side had overgrown grass and was covered with nice big weeds.
The area was not wide enough to walk on but the other side that people walk on had nice short grass and a few daisies on.

Do you think it's safe to take the weeds? The area seems to be untouched, unlike the other side.

Would you trust it?

Thanks

This is a judgement call. I'd need much more information before I'd make a call one way or the other. I do use scrounged up weeds that I find sometimes, but I'm pretty picky about it. I pass up a lot more than I pluck.

If there is any doubt in my mind about an area's safety, I will leave the weeds, but grab loads of seeds. I then scatter the seeds where I want them. Over the years this has made for some really nice self-sustaining weed patches right where I want them, that come back year after year.