Toad in my backyard with dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a large toad living in my backyard. I would let him be but unfortunately I have 2 dogs that like to "hunt" anything that is small and moves. I know that toads can kill dogs with their poison. For now the toad is blocked in with my large sulcata (I'm assuming they are safe together) but there is no guarantee that it won't find it's way out of the fenced in area. My question is.....if I catch him tonight when he comes back out of his hiding spot and re-locate it to a grassy area near my house will it live on like nothing has changed? I guess I just feel bad not knowing how long it has been living in my backyard. I have only had the 2 dogs that will go after it for 3 months as they are both rescues.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My guess would be a Sonoran Desert Toad. I live in East Mesa AZ and live near state trust land.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Go ahead and move it. Sleep with a clear conscience. There is a lot of land available for toads in AZ. You, your dogs and your tortoise can claim that little backyard space.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is what I was afraid of. I also have a doggy door and have often wondered if it would come in. I have seen my larger dog mouth the toad prior to getting it blocked in a separate area. Just last night I was questioning her behavior and thought she was acting a little off. She was skin and bones and very unhealthy when I took her in so I keep a close eye on her. I will go on a toad hunt tonight and re-locate ASAP. Thanks.

ShellyTurtleTort said:
Aw. I want him! Feel free to send him my way ;)

It is cute :)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I agree, relocate and don't think twice! My dog ate a toad without me knowing... Was so ill all night, I was worried sick! He ended up being fine, but I had to clean-up a lot of throw-up and we were all very tiered the next day.

Everyone was teasing me because a week before... My other dog ate a bee and her face swelled up three times it's normal size. Lets just say, my dogs keep me on my toes! :p

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually one bite is all it takes. We had a doberman who chased EVERYTHING off our property...even the airplanes that flew over. She had foam all over her face all the time from trying to chase off the toads. She never got sick from it, but foamed terribly. All the other dogs tried it once, then left them alone after that initial incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.