Today my heart is bleeding .....

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
....... because I found this on a German craig list.
An Aldabra tortoise on rabbit pellets, looking very dry and much to light for her age. Poor, poor little tortoise. My little ones ( Ma & Mo ) weighted 320 gr after I kept them for 2 months in my care !
And the seller wants too much money for such a tiny tortoise even when it is an aldabra. But we can`t rescue them all ....

https://www.deine-tierwelt.de/klein...seychellen-riesenschildkroete-2018-a83902013/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, that's too bad. I guess it's a pretty good thing they're selling him. Maybe the person who buys him will be more knowledgeable and will take better care.

Bee62

Germany
Aw, that's too bad. I guess it's a pretty good thing they're selling him. Maybe the person who buys him will be more knowledgeable and will take better care.
When someone buys the tortoise. :( The price is much too high. I would not pay such a lot money for such a small aldabra.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
the animal is declared as DNZ , German breed animal!
That is illegal, no succesfull breeding is documented in Germany so far.
Any goverment authorithy could easily decline the legallicy of a such declared animal !!

Bee62

Germany
the animal is declared as DNZ , German breed animal!
That is illegal, no succesfull breeding is documented in Germany so far.
Any goverment authorithy could easily decline the legallicy of a such declared animal !!
Right ! The animal cannot be a German breed animal! That is totally wrong.
I was so sad about the pics I didn`t read that.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
Right ! The animal cannot be a German breed animal! That is totally wrong.
I was so sad about the pics I didn`t read that.

Wen we declare an offspring of an "only" WA 2 Species in Germany (like Aldabas) to our local government institutions, we have to declare and proove the origin of the 2 parent animals and there legally Import. If there is any doubt the goverment officials may advice a genetic test. On your own cost! And they will do it!

We host a quite big breeding group of adult aldabras 1,5,5 since many years and have up to one hundred eggs every year. We are in contact with all german Zoos and many private persons keeping aldabras here. Few have eggs, None has living babies! Not even we!

To my waste knowledge and opinion it is impossible that a single Person in northern Germany without contact to other keepers should breed one single animal and just sell it für some money! That would be a Sensation discussed in the media! And even more he claims, it should be acclimated to cold german climate, (in what time??) that is an impossible fake!! You cannot acclimate a Baby aldabra to german cold climat, at least not alive!!

Bee62

Germany
Wen we declare an offspring of an "only" WA 2 Species in Germany (like Aldabas) to our local government institutions, we have to declare and proove the origin of the 2 parent animals and there legally Import. If there is any doubt the goverment officials may advice a genetic test. On your own cost! And they will do it!

We host a quite big breeding group of adult aldabras 1,5,5 since many years and have up to one hundred eggs every year. We are in contact with all german Zoos and many private persons keeping aldabras here. Few have eggs, None has living babies! Not even we!

To my waste knowledge and opinion it is impossible that a single Person in northern Germany without contact to other keepers should breed one single animal and just sell it für some money! That would be a Sensation discussed in the media! And even more he claims, it should be acclimated to cold german climate, (in what time??) that is an impossible fake!! You cannot acclimate a Baby aldabra to german cold climat, at least not alive!!
In my opinion the one who sells the aldabra is no breeder. He only wants to make quick money with an aldabra he bought short time ago.

Jemo

10 Year Member!
Germany
In my opinion the one who sells the aldabra is no breeder. He only wants to make quick money with an aldabra he bought short time ago.

Of course!
and because he has no valid papers, he tries to declare them as "own offsprings"

That will not function in our german System!
meanwhile the governmenr officelas are very sensitive and good trained in this cases!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can they be turned in to an authority? Maybe contacted and educated on the proper care and feeding?
Very sad