TODAY *Repticon Herp Show ....Orange County CA

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
Keep us informed if there are any issues related to the 4" rule. It has recently been a sporadic problem at some of the shows in Calif.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
One of many ridiculous laws out there ………..indeed!
“The sale or distribution of turtles with a carapace length of less than 4 inches has been banned in the US since 1975 (Title 21 CFR 1240.62). The ban was brought into effect under the Public Health Services Act by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to address the problem of Salmonella infections in children. Prior to the ban there were an estimated 250,000 cases of Salmonellosis in children and infants that were associated with pet turtles in the US.”
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/reptilesturtles/a/turtlesales.htm

I know plenty of kids with BIG MOUTHS that could swallow a 10” tortoise! :rolleyes:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
The reason I bring it up is at a show in Sacrament recently, a vendor complained about another vendor selling turtles under 4" to the local FWS and the vendor was cited. From what I was told, the agent reluctantly cited the vendor because of the complaint. Just one vendor trying to get an edge over another. Capitalism at its best.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Show was very small ... but an array of a few select herps. Tons of BP’ snakes and geckos of course. Saw one ball that was insane looking almost a pewter metal with linear stripes. One display and the most selection yet I have seen of these was a Dart frog dude.
Not too many torts.....although one breeder and one "box store" had a really varied collection of the norm ….A local guy I’m familiar with brought his Aldabra , it was cheap for the size but in poor shape, left rear carapace down by the leg had been completely tore off. A really good deal on a nice large pair BMT‘S from the same guy . Many under 4” …..some I hate to say still had their egg tooth and the person told me they were 2-3 months old. ( I love playing incognito ….listen to their tortoise pitch lines …and then before walking away , hand them a Card from the Cove’ --- funny to see the look on their face. ) :rolleyes:
….. Saw few folks from years ago ..... we just all got older and greyer'. :D

I still love going to the shows and feeling like 10 years old all over! :p

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'd have liked to attend this with the family. Especially since you mention it was on the small side.

But I'm caring for my post op baby...can't leave home.

Thanks for sharing.