Told Not To Hibernate My Greek Tortoise

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Your tortouse looks big for that enclosure could you try and join two together in get a carpenter to help add an extension? They will need substrate and water and food a few stones and slate under the lamp wires. The lamp needs to be about 2 inches further inwards to allow your tortoise to turn around under the lamp at the moment it is jammed in the corner.

MaNaAk

Southend
Your tortouse looks big for that enclosure could you try and join two together in get a carpenter to help add an extension? They will need substrate and water and food a few stones and slate under the lamp wires. The lamp needs to be about 2 inches further inwards to allow your tortoise to turn around under the lamp at the moment it is jammed in the corner.
I cleaned the enclosure out and removed D's food before the photo was taken. I can't make it any bigger as I'm in a one bedroom flat but I'm thinking removing the inside panel. I'm also thinking about substrate and I the little house she has polystyrene which is her bedding. J and D have used this for years. I've always had getting them to drink and they get their fluids from their food but otherwise I have giving D some water through a syringe.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Sorry I've left out a couple but I will be building it up to Daisy's liking although in the summer I want Jacky and Daisy back in the garden as much as possible.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Could I just confirm whether it is safe to leave newspaper on the floor under the lamp and heater.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
The other thing is that the vet said that I should set the daytime temperature at 28 degrees but I put it up to 30 degrees today. I am in the UK and D has been with us for 71 years. This is the first I've stopped her hibernating.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
The other thing is that the vet said that I should set the daytime temperature at 28 degrees but I put it up to 30 degrees today. I am in the UK and D has been with us for 71 years. This is the first I've stopped her hibernating.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

MaNaAk
Daisy has had a couple of sips of water through a syringe and then she attacked the greens, tomatoes and lettuce. I have just returned to find her tucking into the greens again so I give her another drink before bed.

MaNaAk

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Daisy has had a couple of sips of water through a syringe and then she attacked the greens, tomatoes and lettuce. I have just returned to find her tucking into the greens again so I give her another drink before bed.

MaNaAk
I have been puzzling over your photo of Daisy in her box -what are those two rows of bumpy things on what looks like a slate next to her ? I can't work it out at all - please tell me !
Angie

MaNaAk

Southend
I have been puzzling over your photo of Daisy in her box -what are those two rows of bumpy things on what looks like a slate next to her ? I can't work it out at all - please tell me !
Angie
They are two pieces of slate that used to be as a door outside Jacky and Daisy's old tortoise house in our old house. I also used them when J and D had to be put in the old greenhouse at night. They would keep the polystyrene and bedding in place.

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Could I just confirm whether it is safe to leave newspaper on the floor under the lamp and heater.

MaNaAk
Paper is combustible I would avoid and use large orchid bark substrate . I buy mine from swell reptiles and they deliver.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
They are two pieces of slate that used to be as a door outside Jacky and Daisy's old tortoise house in our old house. I also used them when J and D had to be put in the old greenhouse at night. They would keep the polystyrene and bedding in place.

MaNaAk
Thanks a lot - I shall be able to sleep tonight now !
Angie

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
3 months ish then put it in outside enclosure or flower beds

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
How often do you replace this?

MaNaAk
I just linked to someone else
This is fine but you can search corse 20kg bag works well

MaNaAk

Southend
I just linked to someone else
This is fine but you can search corse 20kg bag works well
Forgive me for asking this but how often do you clean out the enclosure? I feel like I'm on a learning curve here. Dad and I looked after Jacky and Daisy since mum passed away in 2008 and then I became a carer in 2015. Anyway she ate well today so something's going right.

MaNaAk

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi not problem to ask and on this forum we are happy the help and advise using our experience.
Cleaning I have 3 approaches

1. Daily....Spot clean general tidy and mix up the substrate and re pile up in sleeping and basking areas and remove old food .
2. Weekly Sunday soak and weight morning and I remove stones, hides. Plants, mix up the substrate and then level substrate pile up in hide, sleeping and basking area and replace washed and cleaned items.
3. Approx 3 month or as required remove tortoise to safe area. All items and substrate removed into garden buckets. Tesco disposable floor clothes to clean base and sides and glass. New substrate scooped in and levelled and disinfected items returned in same area and tortoise returned.

There is no right or wrong do it as you choose but over the years this works for me.

MaNaAk

Southend
9.15 am and Daisy's made a start on the lettuce. At some point I will probably also talk about seventy-one years of ramming and hiding and perseverance. Jacky and Daisy are very close but have rammed each other.

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Southend
Hello Everyone!

I've decided to let Daisy out of her enclosure if I'm home so that she gets some exercise. I am keeping her in the warm and keeping a close eye on her. My little ones are so special to me

MaNaAk