Status
Not open for further replies.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I didn't get either. Maybe some kind of mis-interpreted humor?

Tom knows everything wtf 🤬

I may have been inappropriate by saying anything publicly on the forum. After all, I'm not a moderator.

But posts like "wtf", 3 times, is offensive to me, especially since, as you said, it made no sense. We have children as young as 11 years old on this forum. I'd like to believe that we, as a community, are a positive influence on them. Posts like these definitely do not contribute to that goal, much less to the spirit of lively discussion that we enjoy here.

I know for certain that if I had been confronted with a post like that 5 years ago, I wouldn't still be here. I apologize to any newcomers who are offended by this one individual's posts...this is not our norm.

Karen <><

Tortoisaurus

Tampa, FL
I am still completely new to tortoises AND this forum! I have, (with much help from similar forums) managed to keep 4 kids, two dogs, 3 cats, a leopard gecko and a bearded dragon living their best lives, so i am hoping to have the same luck with my beloved new tortoise! I am not real good with navigating this new forum yet/digging up info, but I’ll get there. I bet it really does get annoying to see people coming asking the same questions over and over, or a lack of humility overall. I did get my feelings hurt a bit with my first post and almost deleted my account, but then I remembered how I have to put that aside for the knowledge that I need to have! I have a heart of gold and am eager to learn so I’m sure once people get to know me, they’ll know that! Obviously the goal on the forum is to educate, and for the love of the tortoise - and of course the goal gets lost if new owners don’t feel welcomed and leave, which ultimately only harms the tortoise and defeats the entire goal of the forum altogether. I guess based on other endeavors I’ve been successful with and businesses that I’ve run, I’ve found that the best way to get my urgent points to be heard and well-received is to be kind. If someone gets scared off, they won’t learn and their animal suffers. One thing I do know for sure - with reptiles, they often don’t show that anything is “wrong” until it’s too late to fix it. My friend learned the hard way with her leopard gecko - didn’t take the calcium/lighting/humidity seriously until MBD set in and by that time, it’s too late. And being that my Tortoisaurus could live 80+ years if I do right by him/her, I’m going to do my best to learn all I can and make sure she/he outlives me as she should! And the best way to do that is to listen to folks who have the wisdom that can only come from years of experience. So thank you to those of you who have dedicated so much time to building a place in which to share this knowledge. I’m sure nobody intends to scare anyone off, but everyones personality is different and keeping that in mind will help more people get the education they need! 🐢💕

MaNaAk

Southend
I am still completely new to tortoises AND this forum! I have, (with much help from similar forums) managed to keep 4 kids, two dogs, 3 cats, a leopard gecko and a bearded dragon living their best lives, so i am hoping to have the same luck with my beloved new tortoise! I am not real good with navigating this new forum yet/digging up info, but I’ll get there. I bet it really does get annoying to see people coming asking the same questions over and over, or a lack of humility overall. I did get my feelings hurt a bit with my first post and almost deleted my account, but then I remembered how I have to put that aside for the knowledge that I need to have! I have a heart of gold and am eager to learn so I’m sure once people get to know me, they’ll know that! Obviously the goal on the forum is to educate, and for the love of the tortoise - and of course the goal gets lost if new owners don’t feel welcomed and leave, which ultimately only harms the tortoise and defeats the entire goal of the forum altogether. I guess based on other endeavors I’ve been successful with and businesses that I’ve run, I’ve found that the best way to get my urgent points to be heard and well-received is to be kind. If someone gets scared off, they won’t learn and their animal suffers. One thing I do know for sure - with reptiles, they often don’t show that anything is “wrong” until it’s too late to fix it. My friend learned the hard way with her leopard gecko - didn’t take the calcium/lighting/humidity seriously until MBD set in and by that time, it’s too late. And being that my Tortoisaurus could live 80+ years if I do right by him/her, I’m going to do my best to learn all I can and make sure she/he outlives me as she should! And the best way to do that is to listen to folks who have the wisdom that can only come from years of experience. So thank you to those of you who have dedicated so much time to building a place in which to share this knowledge. I’m sure nobody intends to scare anyone off, but everyones personality is different and keeping that in mind will help more people get the education they need! 🐢💕
I've wonderful support where Daisy (who is 80 is concerned) for seventy-nine years she had no health issues until a few lumps appeared. She is being treated for these and I remember last when I couldn't hibernate her I had loads of advice from new friends. I also had advice on her partner Jacky (who is nearly 87) when she woke up in the middle of winter.

MaNaAk

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Good Job Blackdog1714, most people think it was Aristotle or Galileo.I think Galileo actually went to prison for proving it.
Y'all DO KNOW that "Flat Earthers" are again growing in numbers, right?
The ignorance of mankind in general is astounding

Status
Not open for further replies.