Tom's babies - adventures with Sandy

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Babies from Tom on their way!!

I was actually going to say something earlier. I'm surprised it took one this long to flip over. You're enclosure looks like it would be pretty easy for a lil baby to flip over. Be careful :)

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET

lkwagner said:
I was actually going to say something earlier. I'm surprised it took one this long to flip over. You're enclosure looks like it would be pretty easy for a lil baby to flip over. Be careful :)

Thanks! You should have. I've been watching them, and anywhere I see a potential issue, I stuff more sphagnum around, or rearrange a few rocks. I welcome any and all tips, comments, etc. I want to learn all I can, especially being a rescuer, and a vet tech....I need to teach people, and teach them right.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET

Well, the other baby is safe and sound in "her" now home, and Franklin finally has the place to himself.
He thinks is super great fun to dive off the log...so, log GONE! They have the small one on loan, so I just took a piece of cardboard and folded it....works fine for now.

Tom, I was mistaken....I have the smaller one. He is more outgoing and brave....I know you said their true personalities really don't show until much later...but he's a character now, so I picked him and they liked the darker shell on the other.

So in a week, he gained 10 grams. I think that's pretty acceptable. Everyone agree?
Spring Mix (no spinach), wheat grass and occas Mazuri.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
RE: Babies from Tom on their way!!

Sandy, I've got to tell you the truth. When I made that comment about the baby on the left frowning, and thatrebecca coming up with the babies looking like they're planning a bank robbery, and what happened after...I about died laughing seeing one on its back! I'm really sorry, and I know how upsetting it may have been for you, but it was the funniest think I've witnessed with two babies I've ever seen! I'm saving this thread so that I can have a good laugh every once in a while.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET

sibi said:
Sandy, I've got to tell you the truth. When I made that comment about the baby on the left frowning, and thatrebecca coming up with the babies looking like they're planning a bank robbery, and what happened after...I about died laughing seeing one on its back! I'm really sorry, and I know how upsetting it may have been for you, but it was the funniest think I've witnessed with two babies I've ever seen! I'm saving this thread so that I can have a good laugh every once in a while.

Sibi, I probably laughed harder than you. It was not the least bit upsetting.,,it was HILARIOUS! Now, don't get me wrong, I feel bad, and this could have ended in death...but after the comment you made, the timing was too dang funny.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So glad I check back in on this thread. Noticed the title change. Some great pics. Hope your friend is enjoying theirs as much as you are yours. Keep them coming, I will be watching this thread too. Love tort adventures:D

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I ditched the ghetto aluminum foil and changed to a piece of Mylar insulation.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382331995.552242.jpg

I also ordered a bunch of $3 thermometer/hygrometers with probes from Amazon. Everyone gets one in my house!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
So today was "Mazuri Monday". Well, Franklin didn't agree. I think I will save you the image of bulldozed Mazuri mush. [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

erica anne

5 Year Member
Great name! (Franklin) I have one too, it turned out my Franklin is a she lol. Those are adorable babies, I would love to adopt one of Tom's as well...

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Franklin fits with my other tortoises names, plus if he turns out to be a she, Frankie is an acceptable tough girl name :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sulcata_Sandy said:
So today was "Mazuri Monday". Well, Franklin didn't agree. I think I will save you the image of bulldozed Mazuri mush. [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

These guys were not big on the Mazuri ever. I offered it and it did get munched on, but not with the same vigor as the weeds, chopped grass and leaves.

These ones that hatch out of the ground are just so different from the incubated ones.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
More primitive, eh? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I put three damp kibbles in there for Franklin, he ate one and bulldozed the other two. Otherwise, he's a little piglet.

When I unpacked them, I weighted them, soaked for 30, then reweighed. They lost a few grams from what you told me, then gained 1 gram each after soaking....and BTW, no poo!
A week later, Franklin gained 10g.

I'm doing weekly weights and tracing the shell. Going to enjoy seeing the growth.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Sulcata_Sandy said:

I love it [HEAVY BLACK HEART]️[FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD] Shelly does the same thing. I think I throw away more of her Mazuri then she eats [WINKING FACE]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Looky what I grew!! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382647852.386747.jpg

Franklin LOVES his new playground

Last edited by a moderator: