Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383528759.248100.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383528775.852712.jpg

Finished the new mansion today!

2x2x4

CHE on a thermostat, PowerSun on a timer, terra cotta water dish, lots of sphagnum, peat moss and bark mulch to dig in.

It's a closed chamber, no vents, and the front is covered in plexi. Eventually I will paint it, but for now, I wanted him moved so I rushed.

It's stacked on my Redfoot jungle room.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383528993.019659.jpg

He's exploring!!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383529023.272230.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Wow, he' looking real happy in his new mansion. It really looks great.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Looks awesome. Great job!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Awww, thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. Franklin is a doll...so exciting to have all three stages of Sulcata. Large adult, 5 lb subadult and hatchling.

I'm so in love with these Sulcata's. Amazing species, amazing personalities, behavior. I am hooked. Guess my screen name says it all. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Cowboy_Ken said:
Top one is nice too. Sometimes we make do with what we have on hand.

Yah, 3/4" and 1/2" ply make for interesting joints. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I found a battery drill at goodwill for $9. Other than it drains quick while drilling, it makes a might fine screw gun. I also scored extension cords, a new power strip and a lamp timer at goodwill.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm please...just woke up, checked temps. 80.2°! I don't have RH, my only working hygrometer is in with my critical care Redfoot. But the plexi on Franklin's enclosure is steamy, and the sphagnum is still moist, so we are definitely not dry.

Cowboy_Ken sent me with a ZooMed thermostat, so the probe is on the side with his humid hide (packed with sphagnum). That keeps him at 80°

When the PowerSun is on, the basking center spot is 100.0°. I'm thrilled!!!

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
On both your chi and light you dont have the metal dome on them. Do you like it better that way? I think I may give that a try.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Doesn't seem to need it. Since this is a closed chamber, I'm just creating ambient temps.

The CHE side stays 80°, overnight the PowerSun side was 75°, but Franklin sleeps on the CHE side in his new hide.
The PowerSun has a basking "hot spot" which is holding at 100° while on. It's on a timer, and CHE on a thermostat. I'm very happy with the results, and this frees up more domes figures for other rescues! Yay!!

I'm not sure how is mount the domes if I needed,

Kara

5 Year Member
Hi, Sandy! Awesome enclosures. Wish ours could have plexi so we could SEE Lea. As Grandpa Turtle told me, if she can see out, she wants out! The axiom applies to the top of her enclosures as well. Thankful I used deep rubbermaid tubs for temp enclosures. The sides are too slippery to climb, I guess, because she's tried and tried. At least she's stopped flipping herself over!

I've read all the 'Oliver' posts (and downloaded some of the particularly hilarious pics) so I know Oliver is the 'Large Adult' and Frankie is the 'Hatchling.' What is the subadult called?

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Awww, thanks everyone. I appreciate the support. Franklin is a doll...so exciting to have all three stages of Sulcata. Large adult, 5 lb subadult and hatchling.

I'm so in love with these Sulcata's. Amazing species, amazing personalities, behavior. I am hooked. Guess my screen name says it all. [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Kara said:
Hi, Sandy! Awesome enclosures. Wish ours could have plexi so we could SEE Lea. As Grandpa Turtle told me, if she can see out, she wants out! The axiom applies to the top of her enclosures as well. Thankful I used deep rubbermaid tubs for temp enclosures. The sides are too slippery to climb, I guess, because she's tried and tried. At least she's stopped flipping herself over!

I've read all the 'Oliver' posts (and downloaded some of the particularly hilarious pics) so I know Oliver is the 'Large Adult' and Frankie is the 'Hatchling.' What is the subadult called?

Sulcata_Sandy said:

Thank you!!! He's been in a glass aquarium and had no prob watching me.

Here's the link to my MoMo
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-75234-page-2.html