Tonka’s Tortoise Taj Mahal completed!

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
As a tortoise newbie I have nothing but praise for this forum. There is so much to learn but this forum shares so much learned thru experience that it has saved us newbies lots of grief. The best advice I read but didn’t get to follow was “have your house and enclosure ready BEFORE you bring home your tortoise”. This would have made life for me and our tortoise so much easier.
Tonka’s temporary tortoise enclosure finally completed!
Wanted to share this accomplishment with y’all because if anyone would understand the time and effort spent on enclosures or houses for our tortoises it would be y’all.

My sweet husband and I spent 3 months (between work and other outside chores) building our rescue Sulcata “Tonka’s enclosure.
We haven’t gotten a power pole installed yet. Every electrician around here is covered up helping tornado victims in our area. We are grateful that we live in a place that has a hot and humid summer.
The grass is coming in strong but having to add dirt to help some areas along. We take him to neighbors fields to graze because he could eat the grass in here within a day or two.
83A1D6AB-E45E-4807-8050-5D583525E853.jpegAF5A764F-BDF4-4C44-BB8F-786D8ABB58F9.jpeg3A8E7DBD-D55D-4EFF-82DD-295DFD9DFBF7.jpeg4DDB3A35-60EF-4619-94D3-86C0D607461B.jpegHad some green bean plants and lots of flowers planted in there but they were eaten before I could snap a picture. Going to hang plants he can eat so he’ll just eat the ends and not kill the plant as well as plant some cactus.
When funds and energy return will make the center a soaking pool.
Special thanks to Tom the expert here in the forum for sharing with us here in the forum his plans and pictures for building insulated houses for these guys. I have no wood working skills but was able to use his plans to make one that isn’t pretty but weather resistant and insulated!
F64A7994-25ED-41F0-9FA6-443F2682AA72.jpeg3E8F22A4-915D-4820-A1F3-D21315F5AF50.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very nice job. Lucky tort.
I have one concern. At the bottom of the fence panels. Is there anything to keep him from possibly digging under and out?
Hopefully he won't be one of those, but something to consider or be prepared for.

Alabama
Very nice job. Lucky tort.
I have one concern. At the bottom of the fence panels. Is there anything to keep him from possibly digging under and out?
Hopefully he won't be one of those, but something to consider or be prepared for.
Yes. The tin goes down 2 feet. That is why you see the ridges going up and down. I had first thought lay length wise but we wouldn’t have been able to go deep.
But honestly this probably won’t keep him from digging but from what I’ve heard they dig to burrow not really with an exit in mind? This habitat is only until we get our pasture and barn up which might be a few years with price of wood. He’s 2 now so hopefully as he gets stronger we will be able to stay ahead of his tactics and learn as we go. lol

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
As a tortoise newbie I have nothing but praise for this forum. There is so much to learn but this forum shares so much learned thru experience that it has saved us newbies lots of grief. The best advice I read but didn’t get to follow was “have your house and enclosure ready BEFORE you bring home your tortoise”. This would have made life for me and our tortoise so much easier.
Wanted to share this accomplishment with y’all because if anyone would understand the time and effort spent on enclosures or houses for our tortoises it would be y’all.

My sweet husband and I spent 3 months (between work and other outside chores) building our rescue Sulcata “Tonka’s enclosure.
We haven’t gotten a power pole installed yet. Every electrician around here is covered up helping tornado victims in our area. We are grateful that we live in a place that has a hot and humid summer.
The grass is coming in strong but having to add dirt to help some areas along. We take him to neighbors fields to graze because he could eat the grass in here within a day or two.
View attachment 326658View attachment 326659View attachment 326660View attachment 326661Had some green bean plants and lots of flowers planted in there but they were eaten before I could snap a picture. Going to hang plants he can eat so he’ll just eat the ends and not kill the plant as well as plant some cactus.
Special thanks to Tom the expert here in the forum for sharing with us here in the forum his plans and pictures for building insulated houses for these guys. I have no wood working skills but was able to use his plans to make one that isn’t pretty but weather resistant and insulated!
View attachment 326663View attachment 326664
This looks incredible!! I can’t even imagine how much work this would have been, especially with digging to get the tin 2 feet underground. You did an awesome job! I especially love the door with the little beware of tortoise plaque and lights on either side. This is one lucky tortoise. He’s as lucky to have you, as you are to have him.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
This looks incredible!! I can’t even imagine how much work this would have been, especially with digging to get the tin 2 feet underground. You did an awesome job! I especially love the door with the little beware of tortoise plaque and lights on either side. This is one lucky tortoise. He’s as lucky to have you, as you are to have him.
I had to look and look for the beware of tortoise sign but I finally found it ?

Alabama
This looks incredible!! I can’t even imagine how much work this would have been, especially with digging to get the tin 2 feet underground. You did an awesome job! I especially love the door
I had to look and look for the beware of tortoise sign but I finally found it ?
Oh thank you! i ordered that sign thinking it was huge. The bolt looking things on the door are hickory nut halves I glued on.
4x4 posts aren’t really strong enough for a door that big but I used left over tongue and groove ceiling wood that was light weight and added the cross boards for strength.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good eye.
EllieMay are you a horse lover too?
for sure!! I have a very spoiled red roan that takes me a few miles every now n then.. I have a huge love for wildlife and rehabilitate as well.. here on the home front, I have 3 Sulcata’s, some chickens, ducks and geese.. a few dogs and cats, a chameleon.. and this time of year, there’s also a family of foxes.. and A couple of free deer that come back every year to have babies:)

Alabama
Good eye.
EllieMay are you a horse lover too?
This is “George”. He’s a 3 year old Missouri Foxtrotter. I’ve known him since he was 4 days old and we have just begun to ride this past week.
for sure!! I have a very spoiled red roan that takes me a few miles every now n then.. I have a huge love for wildlife and rehabilitate as well.. here on the home front, I have 3 Sulcata’s, some chickens, ducks and geese.. a few dogs and cats, a chameleon.. and this time of year, there’s also a family of foxes.. and A couple of free deer that come back every year to have babies:)
Wow! And your roan is beautiful!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
This is “George”. He’s a 3 year old Missouri Foxtrotter. I’ve known him since he was 4 days old and we have just begun to ride this past week.

Wow! And your roan is beautiful!
George is also beautiful! I’m sure you both have a strong bond with each other. Are you doing the groundwork yourself with him?

cory dora

Melbourne, FL

View attachment 326658View attachment 326659View attachment 326660View attachment 326661Had some green bean plants and lots of flowers planted in there but they were eaten before I could snap a picture. Going to hang plants he can eat so he’ll just eat the ends and not kill the plant as well as plant some cactus.