Too attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

laney

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeen, Scotland
I think I might be too attached to my torts lol
I worry about them if I have to go to work, I spend all my free time with them, they are all I really have to talk about, I don't trust anyone with them so I worry about dying and my friend wants me to go on holiday but I don't want to leave my babies :(
I think I'm probably unhealthily attached to them, I got my first two when I was going through a couple of bad bouts of depression and PTSD so maybe it stems from there. I talk to them as if they're human (dont worry they dont talk back lol) and live on my own, feel like they've been there for me through rough times but now I'm anxious about them all the time!
It's pretty pathetic I know, I seem to find it hard to get a balance with them.
Not really a question, but feel free to comment or share how you get a good balance :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I'm the same way. I'm a very outgoing personality, but I realize, lately, if you don't want to go over tortoise stuff with me, we'll end up just talking about the weather. I'm concerned, for me, because the forum is it, tortoise wise for me. I know plenty of reptile people, but, if they don't have tortoises, well you know, they may as well be talking about their dog.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Laney, it's perfectly ok. I'm the same way about my little leo. Luckily I work nights so I'm able to check on her all day long. And I do. When I have nights off I spray her shell as she sleeps to make sure she's hydrated and doesn't pyramid.

I've had reptiles all my life, and this is my first tortoise. There's something about them that makes you care and worry. Their passive nature and perceived innocence I assume. Don't feel strange. I think we all have your disease.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Im the same. I love her soo much. I talk to her all the time, so much so my mum thinks I'm on the phone! I spend all my free time with mine too and will do anything for her. I spend most of my money on her and want the best for her. I even rearranged my house and got a new bed for her. I now sleep in a bunk bed and half the garden is Hers.
I wouldn't worry about it, it's just because we care so much about them :) I worry because I'm going on holiday soon and my dad will be looking after her. I'm terrified something will go wrong and ill never forgive him. But fingers crossed she'll be fine.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'm like that too. With both my reptiles and my dogs. My husband and I will be married 21 years this year and we haven't gone anywhere since our honeymoon. I won't leave home...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The great thing about having tortoises is they don't need or want to be bothered a lot. If you have everything right as far as their enclosure, heat, humidity, etc, they can be left and will be just fine. Look at it like this. If you make your life be solely your tortoise, you might eventually become resentful towards him/her. Giving them their space and giving yourself some freedom from them, is a good thing for both of you.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I'm kinda the same way. My bf or 5 years tried getting me to choose between him and my 3 sulcatas. He doesn't like the thought of having them take up our whole yard once we get a house. They have practically taken over our whole town house already and they are all 2 and younger. I tried explaining that this is my passion and if he doesn't understand that then he's not the right guy for me. That shows how much I really care about my torts lol

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Wow, lkwagner, that's dedication. lol

But I agree. If your partner doesn't accept your pets, then they're not the right person for you. In a relationship people need to share the same passion. Pets are just one aspect of that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tortus said:
Wow, lkwagner, that's dedication. lol

But I agree. If your partner doesn't accept your pets, then they're not the right person for you. In a relationship people need to share the same passion. Pets are just one aspect of that.

I agree! I didn't start keeping reptiles until we were married for a couple years. But dogs have been in my life literally from the time I came home from the hospital as a newborn. I never would have married someone who didn't also love dogs. It just wouldn't make sense and I would not have been happy in life.

GeoGpp1012

5 Year Member
Brooklyn , NY
I thinks it's part of being a pet owner...the good ones in my opinion are truly passionate and love their pets and in our case tortoises as if they were a husband/Wife daughter/son.....my friends know I call Benito our son and my fiancé loves how nurturing and caring I am of our tortoise and of her of course....just remember to not neglect the People you love because of your tortoises. There should be enough love to go around :)......on another note I do agree that this boyfriend needs to respect your love for your pets and passion for tortoises cause it's not something that will go away ..if anything its grows with time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a possibility. You should try to develop a couple other interests. I like working outside with plants. This coincides with my love of everything tortoise, but gives me something else to do besides worry about the animals.

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Hi Laney,

As everyone here has said, loving your tort to bits seems pretty normal for us. But if you are feeling a lot of anxiety maybe you should go see a doctor. Out of control anxiety is just like depression and PTSD, it's a mental health issue that you can get help with (I hope you have gotten some good help for your depression and PTSD, it sounds like you are on the mend with those ones). Forgive me if I read too much into your post, just want to make sure you are okay.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Redari said:
Hi Laney,

As everyone here has said, loving your tort to bits seems pretty normal for us. But if you are feeling a lot of anxiety maybe you should go see a doctor. Out of control anxiety is just like depression and PTSD, it's a mental health issue that you can get help with (I hope you have gotten some good help for your depression and PTSD, it sounds like you are on the mend with those ones). Forgive me if I read too much into your post, just want to make sure you are okay.

No no you haven't read too much into it, no need to apologise :)
It's nice to see that others also feel such strong bonds and worries about their torts. I think my health plays a big part in the way I am about them but through reading everyone else's obsessions and feelings its good to know its not just that I'm mental lol and it's a little bit normal in the tort world :)

Yvonne G said:
It might be a possibility. You should try to develop a couple other interests. I like working outside with plants. This coincides with my love of everything tortoise, but gives me something else to do besides worry about the animals.

I like this idea, I think I'm gonna have to try harder to break away and do some other things too.
I love art and really want to get back into it but can you guess what my last scribble was.....??

Lol this.....
0f7cc2b553def4c13e5bdbec11539440_zpsf8a1b086.jpg

Don't be too judgemental lol I done this under the desk at work when I was supposed to be selling perfume hehe

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
My wife says that the tortoises are my children! She claims I love them more than our kids.

Having a pet is supposed to be therapeutic. It helps relieve anxiety. I think most people on this forum are obsessed with their tortoises and that definitely isn't a bad thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
laney said:
Redari said:
Hi Laney,

No no you haven't read too much into it, no need to apologise :)
It's nice to see that others also feel such strong bonds and worries about their torts. I think my health plays a big part in the way I am about them but through reading everyone else's obsessions and feelings its good to know its not just that I'm mental lol and it's a little bit normal in the tort world :)

Yvonne G said:

I like this idea, I think I'm gonna have to try harder to break away and do some other things too.
I love art and really want to get back into it but can you guess what my last scribble was.....??

Lol this.....
0f7cc2b553def4c13e5bdbec11539440_zpsf8a1b086.jpg

Don't be too judgemental lol I done this under the desk at work when I was supposed to be selling perfume hehe

This is beautiful, you really do need to break away a little and do more art. You were given a great gift. Think of it this way. Doing these fantastic drawings, getting out and selling them, or put them on etsy and you have more money to spend on your tort:)
Show us more pictures you've done too, please:D

Status
Not open for further replies.