Too heavy to hibernate?!

natt

So my ‘female’ hermanns is all ready to go for her 3rd hibernation. She is 5 years old. I have just weighed and measured her and on the Jackson scale she is reading 0.28. I believe a reading of 0.23 is considered possibly too heavy to hibernate! As far as I’m aware she is in good health. Another possibility is that she may be carrying eggs?! I know nothing about eggs And am struggling to find some reliable information. Someone please help?! Much appreciated. Natalie.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
So my ‘female’ hermanns is all ready to go for her 3rd hibernation. She is 5 years old. I have just weighed and measured her and on the Jackson scale she is reading 0.28. I believe a reading of 0.23 is considered possibly too heavy to hibernate! As far as I’m aware she is in good health. Another possibility is that she may be carrying eggs?! I know nothing about eggs And am struggling to find some reliable information. Someone please help?! Much appreciated. Natalie.
Hello Natalie, only a x-ray taken by a VET can show if your tort carries eggs or not. To be sure I would do this. With eggs I would not do the risk of hibernating, but when she carries no eggs I have never heard that a tort is to heavy for hibernation.
Maybe some other members jump in with different opinions.

natt

Hello Natalie, only a x-ray taken by a VET can show if your tort carries eggs or not. To be sure I would do this. With eggs I would not do the risk of hibernating, but when she carries no eggs I have never heard that a tort is to heavy for hibernation.
Maybe some other members jump in with different opinions.

Thanks for your reply...... and I may seem really silly asking but if you don’t ask, you don’t know....... is it likely that she is carrying eggs?? Do eggs just happen naturally at a certain time for them or at a certain age or something?

Bee62

Germany
Thanks for your reply...... and I may seem really silly asking but if you don’t ask, you don’t know....... is it likely that she is carrying eggs?? Do eggs just happen naturally at a certain time for them or at a certain age or something?
How old is she ? Female tortoises can carry eggs when they are old enough or heavy enough !
Can you upload some pics of your tort ? Plastron too, and how much does she weight and how old is she ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is no such thing as too heavy to hibernate. Ignore that ratio and judge your tortoises health and fitness by what you see daily.

Late December is a pretty unusual time to just be getting started with hibernation. Where are you and why did you want to wait so long to get started? Have you done all the pre hibernation soaking and gut emptying?

natt

There is no such thing as too heavy to hibernate. Ignore that ratio and judge your tortoises health and fitness by what you see daily.

Late December is a pretty unusual time to just be getting started with hibernation. Where are you and why did you want to wait so long to get started? Have you done all the pre hibernation soaking and gut emptying?

I let her whined herself down and during that time I do the whole soaking her and letting her empty her gut. She is ready to go in the fridge and so this process hasn’t just started now, it’s right at the end of getting her ready. It is a little later then previous years but only by a few weeks. (My mother thought she was being helpful and fed her!)

Bee62

Germany
Are you sure that she is female ? Your tort looks like a male to me. Hopefully another member will have a look on your picture too.
She or he looks healthy and not overweight to my opinion.

natt

Nope, I’m not sure at all! Peoples general opinion a few years back was female- I originally was told male. He/she is called Noah. Yeah she is, in my opinion in good health. Thanks a lot for your input, much appreciated.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have a female Hermann’s who is 9 years old, so we are certain that ours is female. Your tort’s tail is a LOT longer and thicker than my tort, so I’m pretty sure you’ve got a boy there! [emoji2]

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
His beak looks overgrown and in need of a trim. Otherwise he looks great!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"Her" is definitely a "Him"!
The Jackson scale is a guide, not a rule. Different tortoises in different conditions can vary greatly. As Tom said I would go more by the health and fitness of your individual tortoise. As well as your past experience with brumating your tortoise. As far as when you begin brumation (November, December, etc...), it really doesn't matter as long as the correct conditions are provided leading up to and creating brumation conditions. The tortoise isn't going to know when it's going to rest or for how long, just that it is. Brumation (and activity) are based solely on the tortoises surrounding environmental conditions. In captivity no one can emulate the natural seasonal environmental changes that cause a tortoise to brumate. But suitable artificial brumation can be done safely if the basic precautions are observed.
Also know that there is no real reason to brumate your tortoise in captivity if kept indoors though the winter months. It can be kept fully active, alert and healthy with absolutely no harm to the tortoise whatsoever. Captive brumation is a choice by the keeper, not a necessity for the tortoise.