Not open for further replies.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix Arizona
Zouave said:
Melly-n-shorty said:
Neal said:
The problem is the comments. Not that I have anything against them, I actually like them, but you start a thread with pictures or an update and you'll get a bunch of "oh what a cutie", and things along those lines. If you continued to add pictures to that thread, I think they would get lost and the whole thread would be confusing. When I look at pictures I want to click on the title of the thread and look at the pictures as quickly as possible which are usually in the first post. I don't want to sit there and go through pages of posts to find the new pictures.

I agree with Neal... with threads like Tom's about pyramiding it makes sense to keep updating the same thread... but I noticed that if I just wanted to see the pictures over the time of the thread I have to click each page to find them... and for what he is posting it makes a lot of sense to do it this way(and I hope he keeps doing it this way) BUT I think if everyone did that with simple things like pictures and updates I wouldn't bother looking at half of the threads because it would be to much trouble... Especially on a smart phone, as I often use. for ongoing topics such as pyramiding, experiments, a sick tort, or anything else that is a ongoing issue or topic I think yes update the original thread... but if some one wants to post a new picture or a couple comparative pics of their tort, I like it when they post a new thread. Maybe down the road there could be a option for the thread writer to minimize or hide previous comments made by other users when they update a thread with new photos or updates and then when they reader looks at the post they could click a hyper link to show all the previous comments if they choose too. But until then... I personally like that I dont have to wait for multiple pages to load on my phone.
Click "Last Post" and you will be taken to the last post in the thread, no multiple pages. Or, if you have visited that thread before you can click the "-->" (arrow) button next to the thread title and it will (atleast it is supposed too) take you to the last page/post you viewed in that thread.

Tortoise said:
Hi
You mention a last post button-I can't see where that is located?
I'm new to all these forum rules/etiquette etc-sorry
Look all the way to the right of any thread title in any forum or search. The "Previously Viewed Arrow" is on the other side.

8cf45357-1.png

Yea I know how last post works and the arrow... thanks. if you have a complaint maybe you should direct it to the moderators or maybe move your thread to debatable topics. I would think that this section of the forum is for feed back on the forum itself (not to complain about its users). Its a public forum, everyone is going to use it differently and how ever they feel works best for them. How is complaining publicly about the users here helping anyone?

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Melly-n-shorty said:
Yea I know how last post works and the arrow... thanks. if you have a complaint maybe you should direct it to the moderators or maybe move your thread to debatable topics. I would think that this section of the forum is for feed back on the forum itself (not to complain about its users). Its a public forum, everyone is going to use it differently and how ever they feel works best for them. How is complaining publicly about the users here helping anyone?

Your Welcome.
My "Complaining" was meant to be humorous, I apologize if you didn't pick up on that. Can't edit Opening Posts here otherwise i would reword it. I wanted to demonstrate a better way of using this forum and its knowledgeable members to provide concise and easy to follow threads for the "New Users" they are always helping anyway. If things were a little more organized then it would be easier for everyone.

Maybe this would be better in Debatable Topics. I'll request the move.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I am sorry Zouave but I do not understand your point and I totally disagree with you. I love it that people post pics of their tortoises/reptiles/other animals in different threads.... this way, they are making sure we will not miss their new pics :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have to agree with you Isa. If I wanted to post an up date on Pio and Solo, I would have to look through all my threads, find the last pictures of them and then post on that thread. Too much work for me, and much easier to post a new thread with new pictures. Sorry Zouave.....

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
I'm really surprised by some of the responses opposed to this. Everyone has threads they check when there are new posts (like Tom's Experiment threads mentioned earlier for example) why would this be any different? Anyway, I'm not insisting by any means, folks can post however they want (within the rules ofc).

terryo said:
I have to agree with you Isa. If I wanted to post an up date on Pio and Solo, I would have to look through all my threads, find the last pictures of them and then post on that thread. Too much work for me, and much easier to post a new thread with new pictures. Sorry Zouave.....

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pio-s-new-vivarium#axzz1RMiN9PM8

Tenth line down on your list of threads, took me longer to type this. :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You know, I think it's a good idea if you are going to be posting pictures of one particular tortoise or on one particular subject. But if you do what I do and just take random pictures in your backyard, I think a seperate thread would be better.

M

Maggie Cummings

I personally like TFO just the way it is now. When I came here is was one certain way and that's why I stayed. Now several people are trying to get different things changed because other forums have things a certain way.
Well, I say TFO works this way and we should leave it this way...have as many threads as you want. That's one of the fun things about it here...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think it would help reduce clutter and make it easier to follow the progression/growth of specific tortoises. When someone says "Wow look how much she's grown", I think it's easier to click back to page 1 instead of going through every thread/post they've ever made trying to find previous pics.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
jaizei said:
I think it would help reduce clutter and make it easier to follow the progression/growth of specific tortoises. When someone says "Wow look how much she's grown", I think it's easier to click back to page 1 instead of going through every thread/post they've ever made trying to find previous pics.

Exactly. When someone is visiting your home and you decide to look at old pictures, do you haul out 500 little books with 2 or 3 pics in each or 2 or 3 big books packed with pics? It just makes sense.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
sometimes when you are mad and complaining spelling no longer matters. :)

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I actually dislike when people just continuously add pictures of their tortoise(s) to one thread :p
I do click on the "last viewed post" or whatever, but what if there are still 2-3 pages of comments after the last pictures they posted? And in threads like those I've found myself wondering if I already saw the pictures before... :p

I belong to another forum and in the Off-Topic section someone was constantly posting pictures of her new baby. In that situation the mods asked her to keep the updates to one thread. Her posts were definitely cluttering up the Off-Topic section!
But this is a tortoise forum and we're posting pictures of our tortoises- in the Photo Section, which is there for that reason! I can see how it might be obnoxious if it was cluttering up the entire forum, but that's why forums are broken up into sub-forums. The pictures are all in one place, for the most part. :)

I've actually never belonged to a forum where they have asked you to keep your picture updates to one thread, especially when they relate to the topic of the forum.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Ok

You guys are really just focusing on the picture threads which I used as an example since they are the most plentiful. Here's a few more examples. "My Tort Is Sick" followed by "Remember my Sick Tort?" posted 2 weeks later. "My Tort's New Enclosure" followed by "Updated Enclosure Pix" 1 month later after some one pointed out a major deficiency that was visible in the original pics. "What Seeds Should I Plant?" followed by "Look What Popped Up!" etc etc etc These are all informative topics that we all love reading so why make your reader go searching for what you and all of us wrote previous when they can just click back 1 or 2 pages? You will absolutely load MORE pages searching out threads then clicking previous a couple times. Guaranteed.

If you/we/I/us/them are serious about wanting to advance the knowledge base for the average keeper and helping others with these beautiful and fascinating animals then it only makes sense to keep up these informative threads, which include the picture threads because many great questions and answers get posted in them.

If you folks can't see the value in past history then I don't know what else I can say. Damn, the torpedoes. Full speed ahead?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Okay, I can see what you're saying. I was too focused on the picture part of it, sorry! ;)

The only problem I can see with that is that we can't change the titles of our threads. So if I add pictures to my original "My Tort's New Enclosure" thread a few months after I created it, people might pass it over, think they've already read it, etc.
In the past I have belonged to forums where I was able to change the title, and I would occasionally add something like "Update- blah blah"

(I mean, I guess we could PM the mods and ask them to change titles for us regularly...they seem bored lately ;))

eta: I do see your point about keeping the threads consistent for the purpose of informing the average keeper- the "past history" thing you mentioned. So that someone new to the forum can read the beginning/middle/end of a project/health issue etc.

Zouave

5 Year Member
Toronto
Oh I'm sure the Mods would appreciate that! lol

Editting permissions are just forum settings that can be adjusted at the Admin's discretion. I like being able to edit opening posts and other posts past the half hour mark. Some forums allow this for established forum members.

And please. No sorries necessary! You didn't call me names or stamp your feet. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.