Too many tortoises!

Leo Dragon

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
We've had tortoises roaming around our walled garden for several years but thanks to the wonderful covid pandemic, we have a problem - a numbers problem!.
Whilst they were hibernating, my husband and I set off on a cruise that was meant to finish in our home town of Limassol . Four months later, we eventually managed to get a repatriation flight back home but during our time away, the tortoises had come out of hibernation and the male who was going to be separated from the ladies,had been very busy. In the autumn we were overrun with baby tortoises.
We have rehomed alot of them but I'm beginning to realise that however keen people are to have tortoises, alot are horribly ignorant about their needs and wellbeing.
Has anyone tips/advice etc on educating potential new owners and the public in general on how to care for these lovely creatures ?
Hopefully we won't have any more hatchling because we now have just female adults but there are still far too many youngsters still with us.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Where is Limassol? Generally speaking. And what species of tortoise do you have too many of?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming these are Greek tortoises? Print out copies of our care sheet and give them to everyone who gets a baby from you:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second Yvonnes idea and also suggest they join and/or read this forum.
Oh and btw, some/most female tortoises can carry sperm for years. Don't assume that because the male(s) are gone the future eggs that will be laid are not fertile.

Leo Dragon

Uk
Oh and btw, some/most female tortoises can carry sperm for years. Don't assume that because the male(s) are gone the future eggs that will be laid are not fertile.
Many thanks for your input re trying to educate new tortoise owners.
Although I was aware of the females ability to store sperm, I'm just (probably naively) hoping that doesn't happen! It was exciting to see the first few babies walking around but we've gone well beyond that now.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Many thanks for your input re trying to educate new tortoise owners.
Although I was aware of the females ability to store sperm, I'm just (probably naively) hoping that doesn't happen! It was exciting to see the first few babies walking around but we've gone well beyond that now.
Is it not possible to release them into their natural habitat outside of your yard or nearby?

Melissaaburns7

Sarasota, Fl
We've had tortoises roaming around our walled garden for several years but thanks to the wonderful covid pandemic, we have a problem - a numbers problem!.
Whilst they were hibernating, my husband and I set off on a cruise that was meant to finish in our home town of Limassol . Four months later, we eventually managed to get a repatriation flight back home but during our time away, the tortoises had come out of hibernation and the male who was going to be separated from the ladies,had been very busy. In the autumn we were overrun with baby tortoises.
We have rehomed alot of them but I'm beginning to realise that however keen people are to have tortoises, alot are horribly ignorant about their needs and wellbeing.
Has anyone tips/advice etc on educating potential new owners and the public in general on how to care for these lovely creatures ?
Hopefully we won't have any more hatchling because we now have just female adults but there are still far too many youngsters still with us.
Please 🙏 I am looking for a tortoise ! I've wanted 1 since I wad a child. I live in Sarasota FL and my email is . . . (please contact me DM). . . I have enough space at my home and promise to be a wonderful Tortoise Mom!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Direct them to join the forum here, and forward this to them:

Leo Dragon

Uk
Please 🙏 I am looking for a tortoise ! I've wanted 1 since I wad a child. I live in Sarasota FL and my email is . . . (please contact me DM). . . I have enough space at my home and promise to be a wonderful Tortoise Mom!
It's a shame you live so far away. It is not possible for several reasons to transport any of our tortoises to where you live.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

You should probably check out your local Pet Rescues, CraigsList or other local sources. I’m sure you don’t want to explore importing a tortoise from Cyprus.

Try PetFinders - https://www.petfinder.com/scales-fi...7/ms/florence/central-ms-turtle-rescue-ms204/

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is it not possible to release them into their natural habitat outside of your yard or nearby?
That is not recommended as in some places illegal and can possibly pass on pathogens that could wipe out the wild life. Permits etc is needed to do these things.
If they were already wild that just happen to enter and take over ones yard, and have never been in contact with other species and others from another area then it likely would be safe to do health wise but would still be illegal.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, what a problem to have. Separation is the only way forward! PLease read attached care sheet this will help. It is written for us in colder climates so may need adjusting but the majority applies.