Too much food and pet sitter

kaneki28

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have three questions:

1) My tortoise Pebbles seems to have gotten a bit bigger in the 2 months that I’ve had it. Pebbles went from 2.5 inches to 3.25 inches. Am I feeding it too much?

2) I’m leaving for 10 days in April and wanted to know if anyone knows if a reputable pet sitter in the la/San Gabriel valley area. I got the food and water down, but not sure about the daily soaks. Pebbles would be about 6 months old.

3) How can I tell if the shell is not growing properly? What would be the first signs.

Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• 8FBEC51F-026A-4CC2-B3FE-12B114CFCB50.jpeg
    8FBEC51F-026A-4CC2-B3FE-12B114CFCB50.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 7770CF7C-E803-4E04-9F56-C9E7C1D801E7.jpeg
    7770CF7C-E803-4E04-9F56-C9E7C1D801E7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they have a proper size enclosure to get enough exercise, and fed the proper diet, they can not be over fed.
SinLA offered a great deal. I'd take it if I were you.
The shell is already pyramiding so you need to keep the humidity up. 80% for about 3 years and under and 50% for adults.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
10 days without a soak is not a problem
I don't agree. Maybe for an adult tortoise in Florida, but not for a baby Russian in our dry climate. They are highly prone to bladder stones here because it is so dry all the time. Skipping a few days should be okay if well soaked before and after the gap, but 10 days is outside my comfort zone for a 6 month old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have three questions:

1) My tortoise Pebbles seems to have gotten a bit bigger in the 2 months that I’ve had it. Pebbles went from 2.5 inches to 3.25 inches. Am I feeding it too much?

2) I’m leaving for 10 days in April and wanted to know if anyone knows if a reputable pet sitter in the la/San Gabriel valley area. I got the food and water down, but not sure about the daily soaks. Pebbles would be about 6 months old.

3) How can I tell if the shell is not growing properly? What would be the first signs.

Thank you in advance!!!
1) There is no such thing as feeding it too much. That is old wrong info from the wrong sources.
2) I've met SinLA. Good person. I would take that deal too. In fact...
3) Pyramiding. Your is.

This thread will help you:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
wow I passed the @Tom test, I’m honored LOL

In all seriousness if your setup is portable she can come to my place and easily get soaked once or twice per day.
If it was me, I would take you up on that, as I know you would observe all the hygiene and quarantine protocols.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I'm a big fan of Trusted Housesitter, an organization that connects people with petsitting and housesitting needs with people who would like to help out in exchange for a place to stay while away from home.

I've done it a lot as a housesitter, normally so that I can do some writing on whatever project I'm working on... I have some repeat customers on the coast of Maine with a big and lovely house right on the ocean (along with two super dogs and a cat named WillieNelson), and last September I housesat for ten days in London for a couple and their cat, Thomas. My sister does it as a houseowner when she travels for work or play.

TH does housesits for reptiles, although I haven't found any in spots/dates that I want to travel as yet, but I think it's a great outfit, where everyone benefits.

The link below will get anyone interested 25% off the annual fee (and me two free months added to my account)... please reach out if you have any questions:

I think that ten days is fine for a tortoise to be without food, but not great for a young tort to go without soaking (unless they're in a closed system with permanent high humidity levels).

Jamie

Last edited:

kaneki28

California
wow I passed the @Tom test, I’m honored LOL

In all seriousness if your setup is portable she can come to my place and easily get soaked once or twice per day.
Thank you so much for the offer!!!! I really appreciate it. I will reach out to you if needed. And yes, the enclosure is portable. It's a rubbermaid bin.

kaneki28

California
Thank you all for the responses. I am now trying to figure out how to keep the setup more humid as the plexiglass is not working. It's a little frustrating to do so much research and prepping prior and still failing at it. =(

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hello and welcome to TFO. 🤗 It's definitely frustrating trying to make sure you research everything just to find out they're wrong. I did that too. To the point that I stopped going online about tortoises... but I was having tortoise nightmares and got desperate and found this site. I've never been able to go one day since without their input.☺️