Too much mallow?

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sebastopol
My tortoise Cheerio will only eat mallow when he roams the yard, he won't even touch grass. I was wondering if he is just craving a vitamin that is in it, or if something is wrong. Please leave a comment.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There can be many ways to describe what you are talking about, 'palate myopia', food fixation whatever. It could be just as good to say tortoises are not always adventurous about new foods, and seem to run with "don't fix what ain't broke" food view. Also as your tortoises is in it's own wild, they do/will exploit a food source that is seasonally available. Over time and without mallow they/it will turn to something else. Will

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
One of my leopards went through a clover phase. He only ate clover while roaming outside. I didn't worry about it because I knew he ate a varied diet. If yours is fed well and has variety, no biggie that he munches on the mallow when it's "free time".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you left iceberg lettuce out, I bet he'd ignore the mallow.

He's just picking what he likes best. Mine eat a ton of mallow for about five months of every year. It's a predominant weed at the ranch. When the mallow runs out, he'll eat other things. In the mean time sits a pretty good food. If you are still "feeding" this tortoise, like on a tray or something, start chopping up some grass and sprinkling it on top of his other food. Mix it in really well, and soon he will start eating the grass too. Give it a good month or two of the mixing.

sulcata101

5 Year Member
Sebastopol
ascott said:
http://montana.plant-life.org/species/malva_neglec.htm

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.laspilitas.com/nature-of-california/plants/sphaeralcea-ambigua

http://indigenousknowledgeproject.org/plants/munros-globemallow

This is the mallow that grows here at our house...it is all over the property and the CDTs love it...

Yes! That is it.

Tom said:
If you left iceberg lettuce out, I bet he'd ignore the mallow.

He's just picking what he likes best. Mine eat a ton of mallow for about five months of every year. It's a predominant weed at the ranch. When the mallow runs out, he'll eat other things. In the mean time sits a pretty good food. If you are still "feeding" this tortoise, like on a tray or something, start chopping up some grass and sprinkling it on top of his other food. Mix it in really well, and soon he will start eating the grass too. Give it a good month or two of the mixing.

I think its just a phase, ever since I realized he can eat it,he has been crazy for it. Lol
I also sprinkle wild grasses on his other food. Thanks for the help :)