Too much uv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois
Hey i went to a party today for my friend and left turbo, a baby redfoot, alone with my dad. He ate a lot and wandered around today. My dad checked up on him while i was gone with his eyes close under the light and his head and legs were moving forward and back. My dad sprayed him and the ground around him with water. He woke up looked around and then did it again. So my dad sprayed him again and took him out of the light. He walked under his half log and went to sleep, was he sleeping or dehidrated and overheated?

Kyle & Turbo

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Head and front leg movement is them breathing. Perfectly normal.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Depends. Sometimes they like passing out where it's warm. What are your 4 temps?

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Warm was like 88. Cool was 82. At night warm is like 83 and cool is 79. But when he went to sleep it was at the end of day so he sleot right under the 90° basking spot.

Kyle & Turbo

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
I'd say to just keep an eye on him. I don't know how long he was under the heat so I couldn't say if it did any damage. If he eats, poops, and is active tomorrow, I wouldn't worry about it. Make sure you give 'em a soak first thing in the morning if you don't already do that. It's easy to worry about the littlest things with your baby :D

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
I already soak him every day. And he sat under there for a pretty long time. He was probably just sleeping.

Kyle & Turbo

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yeah. Just be careful. I've read that babies are kinda "dumb" when it comes to heat. I think that's why some people are against heat sources from below; hatchlings seem to not know how hot it really is. No first-hand experience with that, though. Also, the smaller the tort, the more susceptible to temp changes in the body.

loyolaboy98

5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois
Ya thats what my dad thought. He just thought he didnt understand the concept of (getting out of the heat before you die)

Kyle & Turbo

EKLC

5 Year Member
90 is not a very hot basking spot, so it would make sense that he would be comfortable sleeping there for a bit to raise his temp up. I remember reading a study where leopard tortoises had a mean body temp of 92 (don't quote me on that).

theelectraco

5 Year Member
EKLC said:
90 is not a very hot basking spot, so it would make sense that he would be comfortable sleeping there for a bit to raise his temp up. I remember reading a study where leopard tortoises had a mean body temp of 92 (don't quote me on that).

90is fine for a Redfoot.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek
0.0.1 Crested Gecko

EKLC

5 Year Member
theelectraco said:
EKLC said:

90is fine for a Redfoot.

Just saying that's not a temperature where he would be baking, so don't worry about him taking a nap there, as you would in the 130+ degree dirt on a hot day

theelectraco

5 Year Member
90 is good for a basking for a Redfoot, as long as the whole enclosure isn't 90. This isn't a sully or Leo that needs a very high basking spot.

EKLC

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
I frankly doubt one could cope with 130 as you said

The dirt gets that hot here if it's in full sun and the ambient temp is 80's - 90's. The same can be said for redfoots in their native range. And on these days, it's definitely important that one provide water and quality shade. So I was just saying that 90 is a nice gentle basking spot, which is good for a hatchling, and (with no other warning signs) I would not worry about a tortoise napping there for a bit, while I would if my tort was asleep in the full sun.

EKLC

5 Year Member
FLINTUS said:
Except although reds aren't true forest torts, they will rarely come out into full sunlight.

of course, I'm just saying that 90 degrees is not dangerous for a nap

Status
Not open for further replies.