Too much water???

jacegeiger

5 Year Member
Hi, i'm a first time tortoise owner and I have a question that i think I know the answer to. Can a tortoise have too much contact with water? Would it damage his skin? My tortoise is a Russian and I've had him for two months. He is constantly in and out of his water. Does that mean he likes his water? Is it too hot? I just want to know in case i'm doing something wrong. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
No - they can't have too much water, especially if he's going in and out by himself. Is he just walking through it or is he actually soaking and drinking?

jacegeiger

5 Year Member
He just kind of walks through. He does soak and drink, but for the most part hes just in and out.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Like kimber, I don't think it's a problem.

But I do wonder, how big is the enclosure? Could he be frequently passing through it because of limited space? Just food for thought...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are your four temperatures? How are you heating and lighting? What is the size of your enclosure? Can we see a pic?

jacegeiger

5 Year Member
The enclosure is indoor, about 3feet by 1 and a half feet, 2 feet tall. I have a uvb lamp and heat lamp. The basking side is about 85degrees and the cool is 75 maybe. My tortoise is only about 4 inches long. Ill have a picture by tonight.

jacegeiger

5 Year Member
Thank you, tom. Im thinking about rearanging his terrarium so theres more room. Cecil, the tortoise, and I appreciate it!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Walking through the water dish is not a prob....however, if he is walking through it he may track substrate through it and muck it up so he later can not drink from it...perhaps move the water dish out of the pathway?????

jacegeiger

5 Year Member
I moved his water towards the back of the tank and even this morning I can tell hes not going in as much. He went in once to poo and that was all. I think now he will only go in the water when he wants to. Thanks again because I wouldn't have thought of moving it!