Top for Steel Tank Enclosure

udorkfish

10352580_10153050479453504_894720448983009323_n.jpg

Hello everyone,

I am the proud new owner of Bill Nye the Russian Tortoise. I'm not sure how old he is as I got him from a pet store. I have only had him a couple days, but I am currently trying to decide what kind of a permanent enclosure I want for him (He is currently in a 55 gallon aquarium). I have seen that some people use galvanized steel stock tanks and I think that's what I want to get for Bill. I'm thinking I'm going to start out with a 63 gallon shallow, the measurements are: 66.25" x 20.75" x 12". Will that be a good size for him for a few years? He is currently about 4 in, we are officially doing measurements tonight before his first soaking (He hasn't gone to the bathroom yet, but is eating plenty) My only concern is that I have two cats, and need to figure out how to make a lid to attach to the tank because I don't think Bill is going to want to share his space with two curious kitties lol. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thank you!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That's a decent size for one indoor Russian @ 4 inches, for a few years. Will you be able to set him up outside at least part of the year too? They really like to roam!

For a lid, it is tough with stock tanks because they are oval. What about creating a rectangular frame that is attached to the tank around the edge. Then you could put a hinged lid on that. With cats potentially sitting on it, I guess you would want hardware mesh for strength.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can use wire with relatively large openings, I don't know if hardware cloth comes with 1 inch or 2 inch openings? Of course it might depend on if your cats have front claws. My cats have never bothered the Tortoise. But every cat is different and yours might decide to try, I think as long as they can't actually climb into the enclosure you'll be fine.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
To make a top for an odd shape enclosure you can trace the shape on a piece of plywood, add about an inch and a half to what you traced for overlap. Cut the center to whatever size and shape you want the hole to be, use whatever type wire you want to cover hole. Then use something flexible ( like a garden hose )and secure that to the overlap following the shape on the underside to keep the top in place. The hose can be secured by nails , screws, glue, etc.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I use a pc of foam insulation board for my tops. Easy to cut to shape & light to lift.