Top ten pets (without fur)

adore

I gotta put in a good word for the snakes!! Once you get the enclosure & temps set up many species are so easy to care for! They are very simple minded so they might not "love" you (because they don't feel complex emotions like love) but most snakes feel more comfortable & safe with their owners than with other people and a snake will often make her way back to her owner, for this reason, when another person is holding her.

I find the slower calmer species of boas & pythons to be very relaxing to watch and hold. Ball Pythons are great first snakes (they only get up to 4ft, males are smaller) or if you want a bit bigger snake that is still a manageable size the Dumeril's Boa tends to be equally docile, and gets about 5-7ft (and is the best snake ever, though may be slightly biased..)

Oh and I get that it's hard for a lot of people to feed whole rodents, but at least most pet stores now sell pre-killed, frozen rodents for snake food, and most baby snakes are raised to eat these "frozen/thawed" meals. Watching a snake eat is amazing! It's like watching a National Geographic special! And they only need to eat (and therefore poop) approx once a week!

Delilah my beloved Dumeril's Boa:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457296116.267839.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457297051.684969.jpg

Delilah's Christmas pic ;)
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457296186.485543.jpg
:) I adore that snake!

Last edited:

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I have American Hairless Terriers. they are, FOR SOME PEOPLE, Hypoallergenic. They are a great breed of dog, still have a terrier personality, but no hair, no shedding. i sew clothing for my dogs so they stay warm enough. Some people who are very allergic to dogs are nOT allergic to the AHT. We even have a network of people who do 'allergy trials' for people who want to know if they can be around an AHT. Some people will ALWAYS be allergic to most dogs. it's in their saliva as well as their hair. But there people who can have an AHT who never thought they could ever have a dog. if you are interested, you can look online for AHT allergy trials. people who are willing to bring their aht to you and see how you react.

Attachments

• 5dogsmothersday.jpg
    5dogsmothersday.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 33

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I have American Hairless Terriers. they are FOR SOME PEOPLE Hypoallergenic. They are a great breed of dog, still have a terrier personality, but no hair, no shedding. i sew clothing for my dogs so they stay warm enough. Some people who are very allergic to dogs are nOT allergic to the AHT. We even have a network of people who do 'allergy trials' for people who want to know if they can be around an AHT. Some people will ALWAYS be allergic to most dogs. it's in their saliva as well as their hair. But there people who can have an AHT who never thought they could ever have a dog. if you are interested, you can look online for AHT allergy trials. people who are willing to bring their aht to you and see how you react.

I love the look of them! They're so cute! Are they the same as Chinese crested?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
I love the look of them! They're so cute! Are they the same as Chinese crested?
as you can see in the pic, 2 of my dogs ARE Chinese Cresteds. but they were born with hair, so they are called powder puffs. The terriers are derived from the rat Terrier. in the early 1970's there was a hairless pup and it was raised and bred, and now there are many hairless terriers. They don't have bad dentition as most hairless dogs can.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
as you can see in the pic, 2 of my dogs ARE Chinese Cresteds. but they were born with hair, so they are called powder puffs. The terriers are derived from the rat Terrier. in the early 1970's there was a hairless pup and it was raised and bred, and now there are many hairless terriers. They don't have bad dentition as most hairless dogs can.
I thought I recognised the funky hair.:)
Little cuties :p

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Bearded dragons are the best pet ever! Mine goes everywhere with me.

Virginia, United States
Frogs and toads are pretty awesome, same with turtles and tortoises. I have experience owning both. Lizards are a pretty good idea too. And if you don't have a whole lot of time on your hands, fish work out well! Snakes are also seem like a good pet, although a lot of people are afraid with them.

Here's my top ten list-
1. Frogs and toads (I've owned before
2.Turtles and tortoises (I've owned)
3.Sphynx Cat
4.Bearded Dragons
5. Leopard Gecko
6.Cornsnake
7.Ball Python
8.Iguana
9.Hermit Crab
10. Fish(I've owned before)

Fish are probably the easiest to care for out of the bunch, in my opinion, except they don't do much. Neither do hermit crabs. Hermit crabs stay in their shells a lot, and you won't see them very much.

Turtles and tortoises can be pricey, but believe me, it's worth it. If you have (at least) a 20 gallon tank sitting around at home, you can do a lot with it! Outdoor pens are also somewhat inexpensive. https://zoomed.com/tortoise-house/ could be a nice outdoor pen for a small tortoise.

Frogs and toads are also fun, but some frogs need large tanks because they love to climb. The frogs themselves can be inexpensive, but you need to be committed and willing to buy crickets every week or so, change the water daily, and clean the cage weekly. You also need a little bowl so they can soak.

Sphynx cats can be cared for like any other cats. Feed them commercial cat food. Blue is a good option. Clean their litter box a couple of times a day and make sure their food and water is full and that their water is clean.

I don't know much about the other pets, but snakes and lizards can be expensive, but again, if you have a decent sized aquarium at home you can make a perfectly good habitat.

Hope this helped!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I personally have owned a huge variety of reptiles starting with my very first, (a caiman) when I was about 8 years old in 1st-2nd grade to my current tortoises Stanley my sulcata and Shebelle my baby just leopard just under a year old.
At times I've owned 17 breeding pairs of Pituophis. I mainly was attracted to my black pine snakes. They always looked so menacing yet were so sweet when you took the time to meat them.
Also, brace yourself here, I've a HUGE attachment to my Doberman Ava and my tuxedo cat Baxter. Ava was basically raised by Baxter so Ava knows who her momma is and had zero issues protecting Baxter from the wildlife found in the hills where we once lived until very recently. Ava with one of her cats, I am very entertained by her corner of her eye look suggesting something's not quite right here ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504508400.635270.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504508905.271619.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504509195.916788.jpg
That is all. I'm not predijest 100%, I just like both types of critter, warm with fur or cold with scales.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oops. This will cause me a fair amount of free flowing, and continuous amount of blood loss tonight while I sleep, dang it how could I have forgotten my bestest, best warm blooded buddy? Will the agony ever end? We're talking alnight awareness here, not some casual nose swiping. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504513156.630588.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1504513202.808217.jpg
What is unfortunate is that at the time of my keeping all my Pituophis, photo phones had yet to be developed, this resulted in me have no, zip, nada, photos of those wonderful snakes. I've always been a fan of the "natural" state of animal, seeing the morphs and hypos to be unnatural, (likely stemming from my bonsai roots) they just appear far more natural to this here Cowboy.

Last edited: