Top Tortoises in Trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I didn't know there was an updated TFTSG list in 2007. I always referred to the 2003 red list. I only listed tortoises and I may have accidentally left some out since I am doing this while on my lunch break.

http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/trouble/

Turtles in Trouble: The World’s Top 25 Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
(arranged in estimated hierarchical order).

1 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra abingdonii
5 Geochelone platynota
9 Astrochelys (=Geochelone) yniphora
13 Testudo kleinmanni
14 Pyxis planicauda
22 Psammobates geometricus
——————————-
• Though Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra abingdonii is represented by only a single individual living in captivity (Lonesome George) and could be considered functionally Extinct, recent work in the Galápagos has demonstrated the presence of mixed abingdonii genotypes in some tortoises from the Volcan Wolf area of Isabela, raising hope that a compatible mate might eventually be located and the taxon possibly saved.

————————————-

• 2007 Regional Lists: Using the data reviewed in 2007 to determine the Global Top 25 List presented above, the TFTSG also compiled Regional Top Threatened Lists to provide rough hierarchical rankings of the currently most threatened species of tortoises and freshwater turtles for various geographic regions. These lists are documented here. The species on these lists also included on the list of the Top 25 globally threatened species are indicated in bold type.
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: Africa’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
1 Astrochelys (=Geochelone) yniphora
2 Pyxis planicauda
4 Psammobates geometricus
5 Homopus signatus cafer
8 Centrochelys (=Geochelone) sulcata
9 Astrochelys (=Geochelone) radiata
11 Pyxis arachnoides
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: Asia’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
4 Geochelone platynota
17 Manouria emys
24 Indotestudo forstenii
38 Indotestudo elongata
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: The Mediterranean Region’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
1 Testudo kleinmanni
3 Testudo graeca nikolskii
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: MesoAmerica’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
3 Gopherus flavomarginatus
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: North America’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
7 Gopherus agassizii
11 Gopherus polyphemus
————————————–

Turtles in Trouble: South America’s Most Endangered Tortoises and Freshwater Turtles - 2007
1 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra abingdonii
7 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra hoodensis
8 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra duncanensis
9 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra darwini
10 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra porteri
11 Chelonoidis (=Geochelone) nigra vicina

IUCN redlist ( I just posted the tortoises)
http://www.iucn-tftsg.org/red-list/

2008 IUCN Red List for Testudines

EX = Extinct; EW = Extinct in the Wild; CR = Critically Endangered; EN = Endangered; VU = Vulnerable; LR/nt = Lower Risk/Near Threatened; LR/lc = Lower Risk/Least Concern; LR/cd = Lower Risk/Conservation Dependent; DD = Data Deficient

Detailed information regarding current IUCN Categories and Criteria (ver. 3.1) are available via this link (redlistcatsenglish.pdf).

The following list and further detailed information about each listed species can also be obtained via the IUCN Red List website.
————————————-
Taxon (English Common Name) and IUCN Threat Status plus IUCN Threat Criteria
—————————————————-

Astrochelys radiata (Radiated Tortoise)

Astrochelys yniphora (Ploughshare Tortoise)

Geochelone chilensis (Southern Wood Tortoise)

Geochelone denticulata (South American Yellow-footed Tortoise)

Geochelone elegans

Geochelone gigantea (Aldabra Giant Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra (Galapagos Giant Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. abingdoni (Abingdon Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. becki (Volcan Wolf Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. chathamensis (Chatham Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. darwini (James Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. duncanensis (Duncan Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. galapagoensis (Charles Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. guntheri (Sierra Negra Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. hoodensis (Hood Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. microphyes (Volcan Darwin Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. porteri (Indefatigable Island Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. vandenburghi (Volcan Alcedo Tortoise)

Geochelone nigra ssp. vicina (Iguana Cove Tortoise)

Geochelone platynota (Burmese Starred Tortoise)

Geochelone sulcata (African Spurred Tortoise)

Gopherus agassizii (Desert Tortoise)

Gopherus berlandieri (Berlandier’s Tortoise)

Gopherus flavomarginatus (Yellow-bordered Tortoise)

Gopherus polyphemus (Gopher Tortoise)
: Lower Risk/near threatened

Homopus bergeri (Berger’s Cape Tortoise)

Homopus signatus (Speckled Cape Tortoise)

Indotestudo elongata (Yellow-headed Tortoise)

Indotestudo forstenii (Travancore Tortoise)

Indotestudo travancorica

Kinixys erosa (Serrated Hinge-backed Tortoise)

Kinixys homeana (Home’s Hinged-backed Tortoise)

Kinixys natalensis (Natal Hinge-backed Tortoise)

Manouria emys (Burmese Mountain Tortoise)

Manouria impressa (Impressed Tortoise)

Psammobates geometricus (Geometric Tortoise)

Pyxis arachnoides (Spider Tortoise)

Pyxis planicauda (Flat-tailed Tortoise)

Testudo graeca (Spur-thighed Tortoise)

Testudo graeca ssp. nikolskii

Testudo hermanni (Hermann’s Tortoise)

Testudo hermanni ssp. hermanni (Western Hermann’s Tortoise)

Testudo horsfieldii (Central Asian Tortoise)

Testudo kleinmanni (Kleinmann’s Tortoise)

Testudo marginata (Marginated Tortoise)

Testudo werneri (Negev Tortoise)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I found it very interesting that the Sulcata is "in trouble" in Africa. We see the glut of them here in the pet trade and I just have to change my tune now. Thank goodness for those private breeders!

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
I found it very interesting that the Sulcata is "in trouble" in Africa. We see the glut of them here in the pet trade and I just have to change my tune now. Thank goodness for those private breeders!

Yvonne

Before I saw the list, I read in a book about african tortoises that sulcatas are critically endangered. It is hard to believe that, especially living in the southwestern states, where I can get sulcatas for free.
Sulcata breeders will help ensure that this species doesn't go extinct....well, at least in captivity. I wonder if if c.b. sulcatas will ever be reintroduced to an area where they are extinct.

I wouldn't mind keeping sulcatas, but I just don't want to surrender the space to keep them. A pair of sulcatas or a plethora of medium sized tortoises...... I picked the medium sized tortoises.

I believe tortoises are one of those animals species that will continue to become rarer and rarer in the wild.

When keeping tortoises, I believe captive breeding programs are very important to consider.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
There are more Tigers in captivity then in the wild.. Breeding them in captivity will not save the ones in the wild. There is not enough Wild left to save them there. To many people, bad education.. same as in Africa...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Laura said:
There are more Tigers in captivity then in the wild.. Breeding them in captivity will not save the ones in the wild. There is not enough Wild left to save them there. To many people, bad education.. same as in Africa...

Speaking of tigers...aren't you just amazed at the footage of those Monks in whatever land it is, who keep wild tigers? As I was watching the program I kept expecting to see someone get attacked by a tiger, but they just peacefully co exist.

Yvonne

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Laura said:

Captive breeding doesn't directly save the animals in the wild, but it does give the option of reintroduction of animals back into the wild and also help decrease the demand for wild-caught animals.

There were only 7 Arabian Oryxs left in the world. They were brought to the Phoenix Zoo, bred in captivity, and now I believe hundreds have been reintroduced to the wild. Captive breeding can give an option of reintroduction should extinction come across a species path. There are many species that have had a second chance because of captive breeding. I wish it never got to that point that captive breeding is necessary to prevent extinction, but we are humans....and we do as we do....we do as we please.

In addition, sulcatas were $1000 each and were rarely seen in the early 80s. I believe there were around 10-15 individuals in the early 80s. Captive breeding has made it possible to supply the pet trade without any importation of wild caught animals. The pet trade takes a toll on animal population. Captive breeding can help relieve the demand for wild-caught animals. Captive breeding has not directly saved the wild sulcatas, but captive breeding has helped deter the desire for illegal smuggling of sulcatas....which indirectly has saved some of the wild sulcatas.

Some of the tortoises that have been recently imported in mass numbers may not become available again on a mass scale such as the pancakes, hinge-backs, indian stars, russians, redfoots/yellowfoots, etc. When these imports come in, it is important that we should establish health, genetically-diverse breeding groups.

Tortoises make "cool" pets, but I believe conservation in any manner should be considered by everyone. Private collections can contribute to the conservation of animals. There are zoos that are going to private individuals in seek of genetically-diverse animals. Some of these animals may become part of a "release back into the wild" program.

emysemys said:
Laura said:

Speaking of tigers...aren't you just amazed at the footage of those Monks in whatever land it is, who keep wild tigers? As I was watching the program I kept expecting to see someone get attacked by a tiger, but they just peacefully co exist.

Yvonne

I didn't see that....that sounds very interesting

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
It is sad to see so many torts on this list. Really makes me want to step up for plans for putting together a breeding colony of my Home's Hingebacks.

Sunrise

5 Year Member
"In addition, sulcatas were $1000 each and were rarely seen in the early 80s. I believe there were around 10-15 individuals in the early 80s. Captive breeding has made it possible to supply the pet trade without any importation of wild caught animals. The pet trade takes a toll on animal population. Captive breeding can help relieve the demand for wild-caught animals. Captive breeding has not directly saved the wild sulcatas, but captive breeding has helped deter the desire for illegal smuggling of sulcatas....which indirectly has saved some of the wild sulcatas."

wonder if aldabra will be priced $80 in the next 20 years? just like sulcata $1000 1980s, and now only $80s.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Sunrise said:
wonder if aldabra will be priced $80 in the next 20 years? just like sulcata $1000 1980s, and now only $80s.

That would be tough to say. Sulcatas produce large clutches than most tortoises...probably because their is a high egg/hatchling death rate in africa. Aldabras have small clutches of eggs and also I believe that not many people are breeding Aldabras on a regular basis. It also takes longer for an Aldabra to reach breeding size.

Not many people can feed/house an Aldabra tortoise easily either.

But you never know......

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They aren't listed Mark because the IUCN hasn't recognised either of them yet. I believe the DNA work wasn't convincing enough and the fact that A. hololissa (the found ones) didn't match (DNA wise) the ones in collections.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.