Topsoil? Organic potting soil? Moss? Humus? Compost? What is all this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
So, definitely confused. I want to grow that Russian seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply, but I have no idea where to start. I've always bought pre-potted plants and just used flower-potting soil with fertilizers.
Now that I'm trying to grow food for a tortoise, I can't buy anything with fertilizers, which opens up a whole new world of dirt!

So help me out, what do you use to grow weeds? :tort:

Also, in regards to terrarium substrate, http://www.lowes.com/pd_92889-76450...entURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=cypress+mulch&facetInfo= is that safe?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Sandy

With regards to the Lowe's product, I'd try to read what its blended with on the package.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Top soil is in general just dirt. But I think companies have a lot of wiggle room with what is considered topsoil. Go with a reputed company, you can email them with any questions about their product

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
I used Scott's Top Soil and Coir 50/50, The scott's top soil was very nice and clean, just make sure not to get any of the Scott's products with Miracle Gro. Lettuce seeds grew well in this.

Melly-n-shorty

5 Year Member
Phoenix Arizona
i have had a lot of luck growing in the coconut coir from the pet shop :) i think it works well for smaller containers.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I use topsoil amended with vermiculite, coir and compost. Coir is reputed to contain a natural source of rooting hormones.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use just coir from the pet store also for my indoor enclosure. I grow weeds and grass in it and it does very well and I don't get any little bugs like I had with soil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
look on the internet. I found it cheap but don't remember the name of the site. I just bought mine at Petco, I didn't want to wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.