Topsoil to grow tort food

rachelraines

Location (City and/or State)
ALABAMA
Is this OK to use to plant seeds in? I am trying to grow my tortoise food from a seed mix that I bought from tortoise supply! And if not, what would you guys recommend? TIAšŸ„°
IMG_8468.png

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
It's not meant for growing. It can work but it's not the best.

Are you going to grow in containers out of reach? If so you can use potting soil. But it must stay out of reach of the tortoise. If just in the ground I use just the regular old dirt from the ground. So far that is working for me.

rachelraines

ALABAMA
It's not meant for growing. It can work but it's not the best.

Are you going to grow in containers out of reach? If so you can use potting soil. But it must stay out of reach of the tortoise. If just in the ground I use just the regular old dirt from the ground. So far that is working for me.
I was going to grow In a patch in the outdoor enclosure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was going to grow In a patch in the outdoor enclosure!
If the tortoise will have access to it, I would not use any store bought bagged soil. Arkansas has very fertile soil in most cases, so you should be fine with out it. It okay to add some plain fertilizer too, as long as the tortoise never has direct access to the fertilizer product. Once the product absorbs into the dirt and breaks down after a few waterings and some time, it won't harm your tortoise.

You'll have to read the ingredients list on the back of any bag to make sure there are no pesticides or other toxins added in. The labeling and wording on the packaging can be very misleading or confusing at times.