Topsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

ann26

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im getting two russian tortoises and I'm wanting to use topsoil. Im just having a hard time finding the right kind. Could someone list some acceptable brands that I would find at Lowes, Home depot, etc?

I really appreciate the help.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
You need to find organic topsoil, any brand is fine.

Danny

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
just make sure its plain with nothing added. some of the top soil has like beads in it to help plants grow and stuff. just find top soil without all that added. I forgot what i use to get... , let me think a little.. it might pop in my head

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Supersoil at Home Depot or Lowes is what i use.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I too have used Supersoil. Just make sure there is no vermiculite or perlite or chemical foods in it.

drumrunr16

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kansas
I use just the cheapest topsoil they have its around $3 a bag or less. Anyhow with topsoil, if you cant find the organic kind, you can cook the regular kind in the microwave at high power for 15 minutes and it sterlizes the soil. It doesnt smell the best but the smell doesnt stay. I just put mine in a baking dish and had my own organic soil. Like the others said, make sure it doesnt have the white beaded balls in it.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Baking it in the microwave will not necessarily get rid of the additional chemicals they may put in it would it? Sterilize, yes it would kill any organisms in the soil but not the chemicals so pesticides or fertilizers would still be there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Crazy1 said:
Baking it in the microwave will not necessarily get rid of the additional chemicals they may put in it would it? Sterilize, yes it would kill any organisms in the soil but not the chemicals so pesticides or fertilizers would still be there.

And almost EVERY kind of potting soil or top soil you buy has additives. Even Supersoil has fertilizers and additives. You have to read the label. Its very difficult to find a bag of soil that doesn't contain additives.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I was out the other day looking at Home Depot and found Miracle Grow Organic top soil. It was quite a Small bag and expensive for the size. When I read the label it had chemicals fertilizers in it. I found that using yard dirt or buying something like Supersoil and placing it in the yard for a couple of months to leach out the bad stuff would helps. I found one that used bat guano and worm casings but I can't remember then name at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.