Torn on which tortoise - healthy adoption or Craigslist rescue

Sticky Feets

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Sounds like your daughter is young enough for you to still have to be the main caretaker. Get a pet only if YOU are committed to caring for it for the rest of its life, or until your child is old enough to take over the responsibility. But if your daughter "outgrows" her new shiny tortoise, you'll have to step up and it might end up being yours forever. I'm all for parents getting exotic pets for their kids, but they need to keep in mind that until their child can pay for its expenses, technically that pet is still under the responsibility of the parent. Good luck with whatever you decide! Glad you came here first before getting a tort.

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Sounds like your daughter is young enough for you to still have to be the main caretaker. Get a pet only if YOU are committed to caring for it for the rest of its life, or until your child is old enough to take over the responsibility. But if your daughter "outgrows" her new shiny tortoise, you'll have to step up and it might end up being yours forever. I'm all for parents getting exotic pets for their kids, but they need to keep in mind that until their child can pay for its expenses, technically that pet is still under the responsibility of the parent. Good luck with whatever you decide! Glad you came here first before getting a tort.
I totally agree with you !