Tort asleep under heat! Is it safe?

John Franzwa

Hello all my little baby one eyed redfoot Earl fell asleep really close to his heat lamps and I'm worried while I'm away tomorrow he will dry out or over heat! Any suggestions, he usually doesn't move when he's burrowed in, also he's completely under his wood chipping.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
What are the temperatures under the lamp?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What are your temps elsewhere? Is it possible the tort is cold in the rest of the enclosure so is sleeping under the heat lamp?

Fredkas

5 Year Member
I think 93 is okay. Mine also sleep besides his bask lamp at day time, will roam around the enclosure several times a day and sleep again at that spot. But he is a sulcata.
As long as he can move to cooler side when he want it, i think you should not worry too much.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Around 78 now but earlier it was warmer like 84

I don't know where you are (nor am I provoking a response for this) but what has worked for me (in New York) is to keep a cool side at 80ºF and a warm side at 84-86ºF with a basking spot 95-100ºF. I accomplished this using thermostats and ceramic heat emitters. Thermostats come in wide price ranges. Generally you get what you pay for... I started out with a Zoo Med 500R, they worked pretty well and are relatively affordable.

Again, this is what worked for me.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Around 78 now but earlier it was warmer like 84
Hi John,. You need let us know where you live and show photos of your enclosure. If it was 78 earlier and now it's 84 it suggests you don't have control over your temps.