Tort doesn't like soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanker999

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi I have a problem. My Tortoise doesn't like soaking! I have made sure the water was a)shallow,(so his nostrils don't go below water) and b) tepid/lukewarm. He spends his whole soak trying desperately to escape. I can tell he dislikes it because afterwards, he hides under his log for a while.
Should I be concerned? Maybe he just isn't used to it....(only 4th time soaking)

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My redfoots like their water on the warm side, but there are still days when they are more into soaking than others. Jennifer

Tanker999

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He seems to dislike it every time though. He will sit under his log for about an hour, wide awake but presumably too scared to come out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise? I've found that some Russians are pretty scared of being put into the water. It doesn't seem to be the water, but being in the container of water. Those same scared tortoises go into their water dishes just fine, but act terrified if put into a bowl of water. Does your tortoise have a water dish? Maybe he gets his drinks on his own.

Yvonne

kevantheman35

10 Year Member!
indiana
as time has gone on my sulcata has become more and more used to it i think. he used to try to escape the whole time, but now he seems to enjoy it. Sometimes he will even drink while hes soakng.

Tanker999

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
He's A Greek. I have put a water dish in my tortoises enclosure, and have seen him taking baths in it frequently. However, i moved the water dish because of multiple sites recommending that i put the water dish on the opposite side of the heat /UVB lamps, and he hasn't touched it since. I have put him into the dish every few days to see how he'll like it but he sits there for a second then walks out. Im just worried he's not getting the proper hydration because he doesn't drink from his water dish or when he's soaking. I am thinking of moving the dish back to where it was, but the water in the dish all evaporates in a day where it used to be.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tanker999 said:
He's A Greek. I have put a water dish in my tortoises enclosure, and have seen him taking baths in it frequently. However, i moved the water dish because of multiple sites recommending that i put the water dish on the opposite side of the heat /UVB lamps, and he hasn't touched it since. I have put him into the dish every few days to see how he'll like it but he sits there for a second then walks out. Im just worried he's not getting the proper hydration because he doesn't drink from his water dish or when he's soaking. I am thinking of moving the dish back to where it was, but the water in the dish all evaporates in a day where it used to be.

Unless you watch him 24/7 you don't know if he uses the water dish.. now do you?

None of the 'breeders' I know "FORCE-SOAK" any of their torts. It just stresses them to the point that it scares the "poop" out of them!!! IT IS NOT A MEDICINAL PRACTICE!

Provide their needs.. they will not kill themselves by any means.

NERD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If he liked the water dish where it was, I would put it back. Perhaps he liked it because the heated side kept the water at what to him was a nice warmth.

As long as he is eating a diet that contains enough moisture and he seems fine, I wouldn't force the soaks. If you do have doubts that he is getting enough moisture, then I would force him once a week.

I tend to disagree with Nerd, those soaks can be medicinal at times and should be required, if necessary for the torts health. Just as they may not like the medicines they need, the worming treatments, the supplements added to their food, or the types of foods best for their diets, sometimes it's the best thing for them.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
First if your tort self soaks there isn't any reason you must soak them. The idea of soaking a Tort is to make sure they are hydrated and/or that they get and stay hydrated if they are ill. If a tort enjoys soaking itself in a nice warm bath I would put his water in the warm area. Check it to make sure it is not too warm by sticking your finger into it or taking the waters temp. How cold is your cold side? Your little Pokey is still small. If you are trying to soak him in water too deep it may be scaring him. The water should only come to the bridge of his shell, that’s were the bottom of the top shell (carapace) meets the top of the bottom shell (plastron), which won’t be much water for him and it will cool quickly if not kept under the warm lights. This is strickly my personal feelings I am not an expert of any kind just a lover of torts.

Tanker999

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
as far as the "forced" soaking goes, i made very sure in my previous soaks that it was the right depth and temperature. As far as the water dish goes, i will be moving it back to the original location because the water is quite chilly where it is now. I will continue my "forced" soaks on a weekly (instead of the previous 3 times a week) basis to see how he does. Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice!:)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tanker999 said:
as far as the "forced" soaking goes, i made very sure in my previous soaks that it was the right depth and temperature. As far as the water dish goes, i will be moving it back to the original location because the water is quite chilly where it is now. I will continue my "forced" soaks on a weekly (instead of the previous 3 times a week) basis to see how he does. Anyway, thanks for all the help and advice!:)

Tanker999.. how can you thank us for all of our "insight"?.. when all you have gleaned [ learned ] from it is that you're going to abuse your tort less often! You're going right back to doing exactly what you did before???????

NERD

Jacqui said:
If he liked the water dish where it was, I would put it back. Perhaps he liked it because the heated side kept the water at what to him was a nice warmth.

As long as he is eating a diet that contains enough moisture and he seems fine, I wouldn't force the soaks. If you do have doubts that he is getting enough moisture, then I would force him once a week.

I tend to disagree with Nerd, those soaks can be medicinal at times and should be required, if necessary for the torts health. Just as they may not like the medicines they need, the worming treatments, the supplements added to their food, or the types of foods best for their diets, sometimes it's the best thing for them.

I tend to disagree with Nerd, those soaks can be medicinal at times and should be required, if necessary for the torts health.

Don't be mislead by what Jacqui said.. [ or what I said ] - this thread is about the tort not liking "forced-soaks".

Forced soaks are recommended after being shipped.. or fear of dehydration, etc. - health purposes. NOT as a routine maintenance practice.

Example: star tortoises are considered "dry" tortoises = mine like to soak [ on their own ] in the water dish ALL OF THE TIME.

Provide their needs...... they'll figure out what's best for themselves.. by themselves!

NERD

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nerd what part should they not be misled by me about? Where I said "As long as he is eating a diet that contains enough moisture and he seems fine, I WOULDN"T FORCE THE SOAKS." :p

I apologize to everyone for having to make some comment back. I really do not want to get a debate going on this thread, so I will pop my fingers if they move toward they key board again while reading this thread...:rolleyes:

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
I tried to refrain myself but couldn't :rolleyes: I agree with Nerd completely. They find water in the wild, they will find it in their habitat. I never see my leopards go into the water bowl and have never soaked them by force. But they both urinate in bucketfuls lol. Most of the desert tortoises especially can go long periods without water, provided they can find adequate forage that contains moisture. The more stress that is endured the weaker the immune system becomes and the more susceptable to infections and viruses they get (sounds like a person huh?). Ok...that's all. Just couldn't help myself, please...careful when you disagree-I'm sensitive :D hehe.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Macheteslaststep said:
I tried to refrain myself but couldn't :rolleyes: I agree with Nerd completely. They find water in the wild, they will find it in their habitat. I never see my leopards go into the water bowl and have never soaked them by force. But they both urinate in bucketfuls lol. Most of the desert tortoises especially can go long periods without water, provided they can find adequate forage that contains moisture. The more stress that is endured the weaker the immune system becomes and the more susceptable to infections and viruses they get (sounds like a person huh?). Ok...that's all. Just couldn't help myself, please...careful when you disagree-I'm sensitive :D hehe.

THANK YOU.. laststep! You replied [ like I do ] because it was important to clarify a point - not just to make issue. I especially agree with.. "The more stress that is endured the weaker the immune system becomes...". Torts get enough abuse as it is!

You are encouraged to 'reply'!

NERD

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
the maine part of it is dont let the water pass its bottom part of the shell or it will get uncomfortiable,,,,i have heard

Tanker999

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
ok, ok! Point Taken! I won't do the soaks anymore! Anyway, i moved have now moved the water to the warmer area again and my tort immediately jumped into the water :D. It was probably just to cold for his liking.

sakkakth

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
norrath
So is a "force soak" considered putting a tort in water it doens't want to be in or putting it in water at all?... Tuck seems to not just tolerate but actually enjoy being in his little bathtub. It will take him up to 30 minutes to start popping his head over the wall indicating it's out time.

Do I not do this even tho he seems to like it and just let him choose to use his water bowls on his own or do you feel it's ok for torts who seem to find it nice?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
sakkakth said:
So is a "force soak" considered putting a tort in water it doens't want to be in or putting it in water at all?... Tuck seems to not just tolerate but actually enjoy being in his little bathtub. It will take him up to 30 minutes to start popping his head over the wall indicating it's out time.

Do I not do this even tho he seems to like it and just let him choose to use his water bowls on his own or do you feel it's ok for torts who seem to find it nice?

Catherine,
<Force soaking> is when a tortoise does not want to stay in the water and wants to get out of the bath. I soak Hermy twice a week and he loves that, he stays in the water with his 2 arms and 2 legs out of his shell and he relax :D

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Isa said:
sakkakth said:

Catherine,
<Force soaking> is when a tortoise does not want to stay in the water and wants to get out of the bath. I soak Hermy twice a week and he loves that, he stays in the water with his 2 arms and 2 legs out of his shell and he relax :D

Bowser does the same thing. When I soak him he stretches his arms and legs out and it looks like he is really relaxed. I can tell when he is ready to get out when he walks to the sides and tries to climb out. When I see him doing that, I take him out and set him on his towl.

Jamie

1 Sulcata (Bowser)

www.myspace.com/bowsertortoise

:rolleyes:

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
O.K. - force soaking is picking them up and putting them in a container of water that they can't get out of on their own. In other words.. not providing them their needs that they can choose from!

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.