Tort Falls Asleep Whilst Being Soaked-Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi all. I soak my beloved tort in luke-warm water once to twice daily. In the past, once the water cooled down he would start to struggle to get out, which I saw as normal. Recently, however I've noticed a change: Oli falls asleep whilst being soaked, whether the temperature of the water is warm or cool. Is this normal? Is there something wrong here? It has worried me lots, as he has never done this before. As for the weather and room temperature, it is HOT. Temperature in Amman is at least 30 degrees Celcius, room temperature is a little less: about 25-27 degrees Celcius.

I'd very much appreciate your explanation/ advice/help here asap.

Thank you, all.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Sometimes Joe does that too... he's just being relaxed. The water is perhaps not as cold as you think... and given the ambient temperature in your room it is pleasantly cool compared with surrounding temperatures :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sometimes Joe does that too... he's just being relaxed. The water is perhaps not as cold as you think... and given the ambient temperature in your room it is pleasantly cool compared with surrounding temperatures :)
When he's relaxing he streches his hind legs, that I know. And he doesn't necessarily fall asleep.

Thanks your answer anyway.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Given that my Greek tort heads for the shade at 25C and you say the room temperature is 27-30C, I am sure he is just enjoying the cool of the water.

With ambient temperatures that high the water will not get too cold in any case.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Spud goes hyperactive lately when I put him in a bath... He used to enjoy it, now he's in and out in ten seconds o_O

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Spud goes hyperactive lately when I put him in a bath... He used to enjoy it, now he's in and out in ten seconds o_O
Tidgy does this sometimes.
it's just a phase.
use a high sided container Spud can't see out of, best early in the morning when still warming up.
And make him stay there for a bit.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Strangely enough, Oli was like that at the beginning. He used to fight and struggle to get out of the bowl. Now he sits there, relaxes (as Adam put it), and even falls asleep.