Tort Food Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
So I plan on setting up my tort indoor enclosure this weekend and I have a few questions about plants I can plant in the enclosure.
1. Philodendron: Can a Russian Tort eat this I have found conflicting info on this some saying it's toxic some saying it's fine. I would like to plant this as it does well growing inside but if it turns out to be toxic ill keep it far away.
2. Christmas Cactus: I know torts like cactus but I don't know if the Christmas variety is tort edible.
3. Cactus in general: I know you can feed Russians prickly pear cactus. I was wondering though should I remove spines from the pads before feeding? If so should I remove all of the spines or just the large ones.

I do not have a tortoise yet so you don't have to worry about what i'm feeding it now. Also, I have seen the posts on tort edibles but if anyone has any suggestions on what plants that grow well indoors and are tort edible please let me know. Thank you.

Cymmie

5 Year Member
Christmas cactus is edible both the flowers and the ... pad thingies XD I don't know what they are called on the christmas cactus. There is a variety of Prickly Pear that has no spines, I'm not sure if all of them do or not. But if you have a variety that has spines remove ALL of them before feeding. I think philodendron is toxic... or semi-toxic but am not sure, someone else will have to answer that one.

Plant's that grow well indoors and can be kept in enclosures are chia seed, they grow really fast and are easily found in health food stores. Ummm... I would think water cress grows well indoors since it is practically considered a weed by most people, not sure though. And I think most clover does, and white clover seeds can be found at homedepot.

BangoSkank

5 Year Member
Cymmie said:
Christmas cactus is edible both the flowers and the ... pad thingies XD I don't know what they are called on the christmas cactus. There is a variety of Prickly Pear that has no spines, I'm not sure if all of them do or not. But if you have a variety that has spines remove ALL of them before feeding. I think philodendron is toxic... or semi-toxic but am not sure, someone else will have to answer that one.

Plant's that grow well indoors and can be kept in enclosures are chia seed, they grow really fast and are easily found in health food stores. Ummm... I would think water cress grows well indoors since it is practically considered a weed by most people, not sure though. And I think most clover does, and white clover seeds can be found at homedepot.

Awesome thank you for the information!

Status
Not open for further replies.