Tort Keeps Flipping On His Back - Please Help!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
The corner that Oli keeps going back to, is that the corner he usually flips over in?
You could try taking a piece of something and just barricading the corner off. A small piece, just so that he's not faced with a 90* angle.
I think for the most part that 2nd stories are considered a no-no, simply because they're more work than they're worth. But if you absolutely have 100% no room available, there might be ways to make it work. Again, you'd be adding a ramp, and more corners for Oli to deal with, but it's possible to cap the corners or at least make it so there's no hard right angles.
Yes and it is always the SAME one. GOD only knows why he goes only to that one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As for the video, it shows a tort (kept far too dry on sand!) that can flip itself.

He carefully turned the lights off so she didn't "cook" while she did it... Your lights won't go off automatically every time Oli flips on his back - he is at risk.

It is better to prevent flipping in the first place.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Seriously, try putting a tile, piece of plastic, piece of wood, something in front of the corner so there is no 90* angle.
It should make it more difficult for him to flip over.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I've thought the solution to this issue would be a triangle shaped piece of wood, parallel to the substrate about 3"-4" above the height of the tortoises carapace.
This would stop the tortoise, (Oli) from getting high enough to flip himself in the first place. I know someone has to have a picture of what I'm describing that they could post. I've got rain up here and I'm reluctant to have my phone out like that.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Seriously, try putting a tile, piece of plastic, piece of wood, something in front of the corner so there is no 90* angle.
It should make it more difficult for him to flip over.
I did put a tile in that corner, so as to get rid of the 90 degree angle, but it didn't do anything!

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Was it tall enough and sturdy enough?
You want something that goes straight up and is equal or the sides of his enclosure. If it has any give or if he can stand up and see over it it won't work.

I would definitely get rid of the middle piece of the enclosure as well. A few good whacks with a hammer should be enough to knock it loose and get it out. I know he's only flipping in that one corner but with the extra open space maybe he'll rethink how he feels about it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Breaking News:

I managed to solve the issue last night after having sat down hours on end beside OLI (who was obviously in his enclosure). I kept watching to see what on earth it was that "attracted" his attention so much to that terrifying corner. I came to find out that he was attracted to the ORANGE material around the enclosure, which the carpenter has placed with a....STAPLER. (Sorry, one cannot see that in pic). It turned out that OLI was climbing at getting to the space between one staple and another. (Little brat!) I got the carpenter to remove the orange coloured material, to replace it with something grey and stick it to the enclosure with anything but staples, and he did. "Now we'll see OLI's reaction" I thought. I placed OLI in his enclosure and watched once again. He went to the same corner, did not manage to climb, and began to roam around, relatively happily, I could say. Wow, what a relief.

Will post pic of the enclosure after the amendment.

Thanks once again for your help everyone.
160515-024354-jpg.173616

Gillie I think when Oli gets used to his new enclosure he'll stop flipping. It is still all new to him.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Was it tall enough and sturdy enough?
You want something that goes straight up and is equal or the sides of his enclosure. If it has any give or if he can stand up and see over it it won't work.

I would definitely get rid of the middle piece of the enclosure as well. A few good whacks with a hammer should be enough to knock it loose and get it out. I know he's only flipping in that one corner but with the extra open space maybe he'll rethink how he feels about it.
I kept the divider, and it seems to me that it is not annoying OLI at all.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Breaking News:

I managed to solve the issue last night after having sat down hours on end beside OLI (who was obviously in his enclosure). I kept watching to see what on earth it was that "attracted" his attention so much to that terrifying corner. I came to find out that he was attracted to the ORANGE material around the enclosure, which the carpenter has placed with a....STAPLER. (Sorry, one cannot see that in pic). It turned out that OLI was climbing at getting to the space between one staple and another. (Little brat!) I got the carpenter to remove the orange coloured material, to replace it with something grey and stick it to the enclosure with anything but staples, and he did. "Now we'll see OLI's reaction" I thought. I placed OLI in his enclosure and watched once again. He went to the same corner, did not manage to climb, and began to roam around, relatively happily, I could say. Wow, what a relief.

Will post pic of the enclosure after the amendment.

Thanks once again for your help everyone.
160515-024354-jpg.173616
Great news and great detective work!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Orange clearly means tasty to Oli! What a performance! I am glad it's fixed :D
Thank you. :<3: I can assure you it was a lot of hard work. ;)

Yep, orange, red and those bright colours, definitely have their effects on torts.:D