Tort not eating!

frankyroma

5 Year Member
I've had my three year old hermann tortoise since the end of September (2013) and ever since getting it it has never had a huge appetite, at first I put this down to the relocation and a new environment, ImageUploadedByTortForum1384967742.721707.jpgbut it's now mid November and she still isn't eating... I have tried a range of weeds from my garden, bought some cress, and even tried a naughty bit of pear the other day, which it loved but now won't even eat that!
I'm posting on here because I have just got back from the vets who said that everything seems to be fine, its just the weather, no sign of mouth rot or anything... I declined "an injection to get the appetite going" as I wasn't really sure what that was...
I Understand that it's winter and I'm in the UK and temps outside are at about 3-5 degrees C
I'll attach a photo of where it lives, the daytime temp is about 30 degrees up the warm end and at night drops to around 20, an humidity is about 60%

Have absolutely no idea what to do, I hate the idea of tube feeding it, which the vet said he could eventually do [WEARY FACE]

Whoops, I should have added:

i know it's winter and they slow down, I didn't want to hibernate it because it is so light anyway and also because I wanted to get to know it's eating habits first anyway- I also understand this was a bad time to get a tortoise :3

I am bathing it in warm water once or twice a week

And it's not popping that I can see, unless it's eating it's poo, but if not it's probably because it's not eating

I don't know what else I can do

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise might not be warm enough. It's awful hard to heat up a cage. They do better in some sort of bin or tub. Large plastic tubs are pretty cheap and very easy to heat.

In the meantime, lower your light and wrap the sides of the cage.

Bozz1983

5 Year Member
Having similar issues. Only had the tortoise for a few days though so don't just know if its the change of enviroment or not. All he wants to do is bury himself and sleep, not eating at all. Not sure I want to hibernate him yet as I was planning Jan and Feb for him to sleep.

I have tried varying his temps but nothing changes, he's just lethargic.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yvonne is absolutely correct. He's losing too much heat out the sides of the enclosure. Britain is ice cold this time of year, and Hermann's torts need a minimum temperature of fifty five to sixty at night (seventies is generally my preference when it comes to keeping their appetite at summer levels) or on the cooler side of the enclosure, and a toasty warm eighty eight to ninety five under the basking lamp. Your enclosure not only loses too much heat, but it also loses too much humidity. A level around sixty to seventy five percent is best, and up to eighty five is fine so long as the temperature is up. Are you soaking the tortoise? Give him a lukewarm bath on a daily basis during those first months in captivity. If you haven't already been doing this, start. Generally, mine feed almost immediately after a bath, though I do have one male marginated who is a stubborn jerk and always wants to hide after a bath. Generally, he returns from hiding within fifteen minutes to eat, however.

Keep an eye on his weight. This is something I never hear mentioned often enough. If you haven't already, buy yourself a digital scale, something that can measure to the tenth of a gram with a maximum weight limit around five or ten kilos. Sudden, unexplained weight loss is often the first sign of a problem. Make these changes, and your tort won't have any trouble.

T.G.

frankyroma

5 Year Member
His weight is the main cause of my concern, as he only weighs 100g and the vet said it should be at least 200-300 for his size!

We have risen the temperature and I have been bathing him daily now rather than weekly, and thank god, he has actually eaten two days in a row! So, than you all so so much for your advice!

One last thing, when you say the temperature needs to be in it's seventies, you are talking F not C right? Haha
Thank you!

And I should add, he came to us that light and hasn't lost any weight since we've had him, somehow anyway!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Overall warmer temps will help, but also make it brighter by adding a good florescent UV tube (NOT a cfl coil type) or another incandescent flood, or both. Set these light on a timer so that they are on for 13-14 hours a day. You need to fool your tortoises body into thinking it late spring or summer.

I agree with all the other advice given too.

Bozz1983

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice on here guys, he seems a lot happier now and eating well.

Can sleep easily now 😊