Tort on back

garrybailey

5 Year Member
Hi, my tortoise keeps flipping himself onto his back all the time, I don't flip him over straight away because been told that he got to try and right himself! If he is left on his back too long can it hurt him because I'm worried that if he does it while I'm at work something bad could happen!

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh, Scotland
Being on his back will be harmful, but how quickly it becomes a problem depends on where it happens. If he flips under his heat lamp (or somewhere without shade if he's outside) then he could quickly overheat. If there's a specific spot where he keeps flipping then you could try rearranging his enclosure slightly to remove the risk or make it easier for him to get to where he's trying to go. You could also add in some small rocks (or something similar) to give him something to use to help right himself.

garrybailey

5 Year Member
Yer it's always in the same spot, in the corner not under the heat though thankgod, he does it while trying to climb out the tank! I think I'll put some stones near there so he got some leverage to flip again

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can you show us a pic of the trouble spot. Prevention is better than fixing it after the fact.

garrybailey

5 Year Member
I'll send one later because I'm at work at the minute, lucky today there is someone in the house all day to keep an eye on him

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
an interesting note to add... I have witnessed many times within my redfoot herd, another tortoise actually coming over and nudging/lifting the overturned animal to help upright him/her. A very neat social aspect and or curiosity trait inherited.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
N2TORTS said:
an interesting note to add... I have witnessed many times within my redfoot herd, another tortoise actually coming over and nudging/lifting the overturned animal to help upright him/her. A very neat social aspect and or curiosity trait inherited.

I have seen a video with the tort helping there buddy out. I thought it was the CUTEST thing ever. They knew they needed help. I thought it was so adorable :p

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Just a thought. I had this issue for the first two months. It got so bad that I would stress out at work and have to rush home at lunch and after work without going out or doing the shopping just to check on them. I lost two baby box turtles in three days that flipped over under the light. I installed bumpers in all the corners of my tort table using that black plastic garden edging. It rounded out the corners and they stopped trying to climb the corners. If you bury it deep enough, it also stops them from being able to get verticle and rolling over backwards. I also discovered it has the additional benefit of getting and staying warmer longer because it is black and now they all line up and burrow next to it to sleep. I have not had a flip over in the last two months. Not a single one from the boxies or the torts!

garrybailey

5 Year Member
Thankyou everyone, I changed his enclosure around and moved stuff around and no more tipping in last week so all good so far! I think he just wanted to be nosey out the glass lol he now has a little bridge he likes to lie on and watch everything that is happening lol never knew torts where nosey lol :)