TORT POOP-IS HE OR ISN'T HE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have not found poop:p in Tatum's enclosure except in his water dish. Is it possible that he only goes poop on his daily soaks (which he does plenty)and in his water dish occasionally? Or am I just missing it because of the coconut coir making it hard to find? Or better yet, could he be potty trained to poop in water:p haha

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
wellington said:
I have not found poop:p in Tatum's enclosure except in his water dish. Is it possible that he only goes poop on his daily soaks (which he does plenty)and in his water dish occasionally? Or am I just missing it because of the coconut coir making it hard to find? Or better yet, could he be potty trained to poop in water:p haha
Id say if u r doing daily soaks then he is potty trained to go in his soaks. That's how Cooper is now, he never poops in his area anymore. But he will pee when he is eating food as fast as he can.. lol! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I sure hope he is poop trained:p. I soak him in my bathroom sink. Easy clean up, just washes down the drain. Well it works for now, he is still small.:D
I have only seen Tatum pee during his soaks, never when eating, that I know of, unless he is missing the rock and peeing in the coir. But he has not peed on me yet while hand feeding, knock on wood:D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
yup it's possible he only goes in the water. Or if he's going on the coir, maybe he's eating it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pdrobber said:
yup it's possible he only goes in the water. Or if he's going on the coir, maybe he's eating it?

WHAT, eating it:p I hope not, I already have a poop eating dog:( Had to get her a shock collar. She won't eat hers only other dogs. Too many trips to the vets for parasites, hence the shock collar. Just to ward off all neigh sayers on the shock collar, she only has to hear the buzzing noise and she stops:p
So if Tatum is eating his poop, no I won't get a shock collar, but is it okay for him to do that? I may not be kissing him anymore:(

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
it's very normal for tortoises to do so...there's even some who say digesting the plant matter a second time gets out nutrients that weren't processed the first time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pdrobber said:
it's very normal for tortoises to do so...there's even some who say digesting the plant matter a second time gets out nutrients that weren't processed the first time.

well as long as it isn't bad for him. But I am really hoping for the potty trained theory:D
Thanks

blastoise91

5 Year Member
NV
cemmons12 said:
Id say if u r doing daily soaks then he is potty trained to go in his soaks. That's how Cooper is now, he never poops in his area anymore. But he will pee when he is eating food as fast as he can.. lol! :)

That is cute and hella funny lol. I can just see my little guy eating so fast he pees. Sounds like something he would do haha. really funny image.

pdrobber said:

This is said about all small rodent pets as well as most other mammals. Just a peice if info for everyone :)) very common and no worries. All animals will usually eat the softer poop (like they know its not fully digested). Smart animals know what poop still has nutrients! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.