Tort sitting! (nervous :/ )

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
I have a mandatory field trip this weekend for one of my (three) upper level biology classes. I'm leaving Bernadette in the very capable hands of my grandparents.
I know that I wrote down everything they need to know, and that they can call me if they have questions. I know they know what to do and are going to take very very good care of her.
But...
As a first time tort mom, I'm still really nervous about being away from her for two days!

Does anyone else have any good tort sitting stories? Were you nervous the first time you let someone else care for your baby? Did anything (good, bad, or funny) happen?

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Oh yes I was a wreck the first time I left Tank with my mom. I called to check on him and to remind her to turn on this light and turn off that light. I drove her crazy. I prepaired his food and put daily feeding in zip lock bags. I left her with a how to take care of Tank sheet. I was even nervous to leave him to go to work when he was little. I even thought about getting one of those baby video cameras so I could keep an eye on him but the husband said that was going overboard.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i think this thread is so cute.

does mother nature provide such quality of care to animals thats are millions or years old? not saying such care is not required, i just love how much us humans love to take care of dinosaurs!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nelson lived in my apartment at school when I first got him. When I went home one weekend I asked my roommate to watch him. I put the appropriate amount of lettuce in a container and asked her to feed him at a certain time :p
His lights have always been on a timer so I didn't have to worry about that. I'm pretty sure I texted her several times that weekend asking how he was doing :rolleyes: She's not an animal person so I don't think she understood where I was coming from.

I was so paranoid about him flipping and dying, so I started bringing him with me whenever I went home :p

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
Anytime I have gone on vacation I keep the lights off my tortoise/boxies, leave them without food, and give them a small bowl of water and leave. I have been gone as long as a week with no problems. I figure in the wild there will be weeks where the weather is cool enough tortoises won't come out to eat so I just duplicate those conditions. I trust my tortoises more then I trust other people to care for them.

-JM

5 Year Member
I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries, lol.
I know it may be a little ridiculous, as she is perfectly independent as long as the proper stuff is available. Still, I'm mostly concerned with her flipping, as she has tumbled a couple of times.
I think if she wasn't a hatchling I might consider leaving her home alone, but she's just so tiny!!!

I thought about taking her with me on the trip, but since we're going in a school van it would be very hot during the drive, and I wouldn't be able to bring her UVB lamp at all b/c of limited space.

Also: MISSY! I made a "HOW TO SPOIL BERNADETTE" sheet. Now I don't feel so silly knowing you did something similar! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.