Tort soaking himself for hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
My tort is being treated with antibiotics for a URI. He also has pin worms that aren't being treated until the antibiotics are finished. Since beginning the antibiotic he seems to spend a lot of time soaking himself. When not soaking in his water dish he is "partially" soaking by having his rear in the water and his front resting on the the edge of his dish. Sometime he has only his back feet hanging into the water.

Should I be concerned about how much time he spends in the water? At first I thought the antibiotics are dehydrating him and he is just taking care of himself. Now I find him basking in the water and today he has spent most of the morning in the water. He seems to split his day into sleeping in his hide or basking in his water dish, which I clean after each of his soaking sessions.

Attachments

• Soaking - 2.jpg
    Soaking - 2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 57

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It has been my experience that a sick turtle/tortoise spends quite a bit of time in the water (especially box turtles). I might assume from your story that the tortoise needs to be de-wormed. If temp is good, its probably the worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.