Tort started hatching ,but its too early

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Oh, WOW!!! :( I have NO experience with this, sorry. But GOOD LUCK!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I say let it hatch. Put it in a separate container, free of incubation medium, not even a damp paper towel, and keep it in the warm, moist incubator. They've been known, and I've seen it myself, to eat the medium. Even damp paper towels. That said, you want the yolk to absorb as easily as possible without drying out.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
at the moment he's fast asleep in his egg in the incubator,i am misting it hourly so hopefully he will stay in there for the next few days

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Good luck with this little guy!
I have no experience with this but I'm rooting for him!!

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
I say let it hatch. Put it in a separate container, free of incubation medium, not even a damp paper towel, and keep it in the warm, moist incubator. They've been known, and I've seen it myself, to eat the medium. Even damp paper towels. That said, you want the yolk to absorb as easily as possible without drying out.
I don't want to give anybody incorrect info, but for about 50 years, I have been putting hatchlings in damp sphagnum moss in a container within the incubator, where they hatched. If they seem damp enough, I make sure that the egg shell is removed from around their faces, and put them in the moss, while they are still in the egg shell. If they look too dry to shed the shell, I spray them and after a little while, I remove the rest of the shell, and put them in the container with the damp sphagnum. Once they absorb the yolk sac, I remove them from the incubator. I never had had a problem with them eating the sphagnum. If anyone has had a problem with it, please reply.