• 20210501_171116.jpg
    20210501_171116.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 41

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Grand Terrace
Just keep feeding and he may warm up! If he was a Russian then I would say give up!?
Hahaha that's sooo funny. I was looking through the forum with the search of "does my tortiose hate me" "why does my tortiose hate me" "tortiose hate" and most of the results popped up under the Russian tortiose tags hahahaha So with my Sulcata there is still hope? He's 5 and I got him over 8 months ago... not quite a year yet.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
My tortoise is very shy too, and used to hide his head under the shell every time I approached him but now that he's gotten used to me (and I only handle him in the morning to soak him and give food), he doesn't hide so much anymore.
He actually walks towards me when he is in the soak tub maybe because he associates my presence with getting him out of the tub and bringing him new pile of food.
I also creep up to him to take pictures, and try not to bother him at all otherwise.

JackieJax

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Grand Terrace
My tortoise is very shy too, and used to hide his head under the shell every time I approached him but now that he's gotten used to me (and I only handle him in the morning to soak him and give food), he doesn't hide so much anymore.
He actually walks towards me when he is in the soak tub maybe because he associates my presence with getting him out of the tub and bringing him new pile of food.
I also creep up to him to take pictures, and try not to bother him at all otherwise.
Tortimer hates being soaked. I do it, but he hates it. I recently got him a kiddie pool thinking maybe more space than a bath tub, large storage container, etc would help... but then I learned that though he acts like he can't go up a ramp to the little garden I made him... he can certainly escape a kiddie pool taller than him without a ramp. I'm pretty sure he's a magician ?
I think I'll try putting him more on a routine so he has more expectations of my presence. I currently let him decide when he wants to come out of his house during the day.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Tortimer hates being soaked. I do it, but he hates it. I recently got him a kiddie pool thinking maybe more space than a bath tub, large storage container, etc would help... but then I learned that though he acts like he can't go up a ramp to the little garden I made him... he can certainly escape a kiddie pool taller than him without a ramp. I'm pretty sure he's a magician ?
I think I'll try putting him more on a routine so he has more expectations of my presence. I currently let him decide when he wants to come out of his house during the day.
Yes they like routines? AND they are surprisingly good climbers!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, they seem to have a magical power, the ability to levitate without you knowing it (ha, ha), the epitome of an escape artist.