Tortoise abducted by aliens?

zentort

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham, UK
Has anyone else's tortoise been abducted by aliens?

Gemini was restless lke we've never seen before around the 10th September. He escaped from his table twice, and was trying to crawl under the door. Eventually we put him in the middle of the room, so he didn't risk toppling climbing the sides of his table, and had to leave him running around like a lunatic to go on with our day.

We haven't seen him since. Complete fingertip search done of entire downstairs area 4 times. Dismantled furniture. Checked the rubbish bin (just in case), solemnly unloaded our laundry from the machine (just in case).

Water and food left in every room, untouched. No sign of fresh tortoise poop. He hasn't climbed back into his table, and we've heard no sounds.

Downstairs has been above 15 degree C in the day, and warm enough at night for me to get by in a t-shirt, so I don't think he's hibernated. He's 1.5 years old, in very good health, and adventerous as he was the day we got him.

There was no way out of the house (in fact there was no way out of the room).

He also disappeared on the 1st of September, only to turn up on the 8th September. This was when we first realised he was climbing out of his table unaided.

I've accepted the fact we're probably hunting for a corpse, the rest of the family, not so much.

How often do the aliens come for tortoises? Are they particularly drawn to Hermanns, or do they go for any species? Or is our little tortoise just gaslighting us..? Help and advice appreciated...

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Oh my, that's a mystery for sure!

I don't really think aliens are to blame, though.

Just throwing out ideas...torts are good climbers, so look up. We assume he would be on the floor, but maybe not.

Is there any place he could have gotten inside a wall? Heat duct, hole in a wall, etc.

You dismantled furniture...did you carefully feel inside of cushions, or in the burlap that sometimes covers the underneath of chairs or couches? (I had a pet skunk who tore a hole and climbed in to her own private hammock).

Are there any cabinets with drawers? Check under the bottom drawer, on the floor. (Another place my skunk hid out).

Look in any places that you think are not big enough for him...they like wedging themselves into places they can't get out of.

You've probably already done all this...I hope you find him.

Please don't forget to update us!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Any luck? Do you have children or visits from children who may decide to pretend to be aliens and have a bit of a lark?

zentort

Birmingham, UK
Hey so.... Gemini appeared today! A changed tortoise. He's headbutting my shoes. Now, maybe I'm cruel but I've deliberately let him wander around the floor today after bathing & feeding just to watch him headbutt random shoes (yeah the floor is clean).

So I am guessing shoe headbutting aliens took him for a couple of weeks. Please be very cautious of these aliens.

Very happy tortmomma here!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hey so.... Gemini appeared today! A changed tortoise. He's headbutting my shoes. Now, maybe I'm cruel but I've deliberately let him wander around the floor today after bathing & feeding just to watch him headbutt random shoes (yeah the floor is clean).

So I am guessing shoe headbutting aliens took him for a couple of weeks. Please be very cautious of these aliens.

Very happy tortmomma here!
Do you have ANY idea where he was?
So glad he's back!