tortoise always travels east?

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Roseville, Minnesota
So I have a greek tortoise, Borris. Whenever I bring him outside, he always travels east! I have a large backyard, so he has plenty of moving space. do your tortoises travel a certain direction? It may be because Greece is east, I don't know. And it doesn't have anything to do with the sun because I've taken him outside at varying times and its always east.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Huh, I have noticed this with my russian as well. Maybe some sort of built in compass that steers them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, my leopards head south, then turn around and head back north, then will head east where the shade bush, food and water are. My Russian heads west but then north, then west again, that's where he likes to hide out. So, no, mine are all over the place basically.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Well, my leopards head south, then turn around and head back north, then will head east where the shade bush, food and water are. My Russian heads west but then north, then west again, that's where he likes to hide out. So, no, mine are all over the place basically.
Wow, confusing! Ok, so.... they don't go any one direction

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota

evlinLoutries

5 Year Member
Indonesia
All my tortoises will be going randomly each day..

But they do have a favourite spot to stop by :D

I was a Tortoise before!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Interesting. I read somewhere that dogs do their dooty in alignment with the Earth's magnetic field... Or, maybe he's just a NASCAR driver at heart!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mine do different things, but each one as a general rule as their own pattern to where they go depending on the time of day and weather. Sure helps to learn those patterns for ease in location. For those who have no pattern (atleast one my simple mind can figure out), it makes life a bit more interesting.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Mine do different things, but each one as a general rule as their own pattern to where they go depending on the time of day and weather. Sure helps to learn those patterns for ease in location. For those who have no pattern (atleast one my simple mind can figure out), it makes life a bit more interesting.QUOTE]
Hmm, so, the weather and time affect where they go took too?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
So I have a greek tortoise, Borris. Whenever I bring him outside, he always travels east! I have a large backyard, so he has plenty of moving space. do your tortoises travel a certain direction? It may be because Greece is east, I don't know. And it doesn't have anything to do with the sun because I've taken him outside at varying times and its always east.
What placement of the enclosure or outside are you putting him in. Let's say it's at a corner in the northwest and the enclosure is longer from west to east. Then this would make sense. As it's the opening of the most room to roam. If it were flipped I'd be the would go west. Are you putting him in a certain fixed spot when placing him down.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My enclosures all tend to meander and wrap around buildings and the tortoises are all randomly moving all over the enclosures all day.

I recall reading something that if you put a tortoise on the ground in an open field they will usually travel in a certain direction. I don't remember what the direction was. East sounds familiar. I recall wanting to test the theory, but the business of life interferes with my tortoise fun as usual. I have plenty of open fields all around me to test it too. I'd want to approach the field from different directions and also drop the tort and leave in different directions to see if either factor makes any difference.

Clawem

I have one that always travels east and one west. Their heated hide is on the west side and the one that travels west goes in and out of the hide all day and goes in at night to sleep. The one that travels east only goes in the hide if you place him in there at night or he will stay out no matter what the weather. I wish I could get him to go in the hide by himself especially when it cools down in the evening.

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
My enclosures all tend to meander and wrap around buildings and the tortoises are all randomly moving all over the enclosures all day.

I recall reading something that if you put a tortoise on the ground in an open field they will usually travel in a certain direction. I don't remember what the direction was. East sounds familiar. I recall wanting to test the theory, but the business of life interferes with my tortoise fun as usual. I have plenty of open fields all around me to test it too. I'd want to approach the field from different directions and also drop the tort and leave in different directions to see if either factor makes any difference.
Yeah my yard an acre so I counts as an open field, if I put him anywhere, he will go east. Even if I place him facing west he will turn around and go east!