Tortoise and turtle species book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island New York
It is very easy to find large encyclopedia sized books of cats and or dogs with pictures and information about various breeds. What I want though is to know is there a big book of turtles and tortoises? A big book with info of different species maybe some bio for each species and a care fact for each. I would pay a lot of money for such a book and wanted to know if one exists and or if maybe with the help of the tortoise forum community if as a community we could create one. I thank everyone in advance if they know of such a book and if they agree in that we should create one. Thank you again!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
There are several available, so many that I can't remember them all! One, even though "old" by todays standards is: The Encyclopedia of turtles by Peter Prichard. It covers every known turtle and tortoise species recognized at the time of it's writing. Mostly deals with their description and natural environment. Several books by Andy Highfield, Pusall, Barbour and more.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
GBtortoises said:
There are several available, so many that I can't remember them all! One, even though "old" by todays standards is: The Encyclopedia of turtles by Peter Prichard. It covers every known turtle and tortoise species recognized at the time of it's writing. Mostly deals with their description and natural environment. Several books by Andy Highfield, Pusall, Barbour and more.

Thank you I will be sure to look up all books by that author, I truly appreciate it. =)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The two I know of that cover ALL species (at the time of publication) are...

- Bonin, Franck and Bernard Deavaux, Alain Dupre, Peter C. H. Pritchard, Peter C. H. (translator). Turtles of the World. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006. ISBN 0801884969.
- Pritchard, Dr. Peter C. H. Encyclopedia of Turtles . TFH Press. 1979. ISBN 0876669186.

One interesting book that discusses them in a more general way and discusses most genera is...

- Franklin, Carl J. Turtles: An Extraordinary Natural History 245 Million Years in the Making Voyaguer Press, 2007. ISBN 0760329818.

A couple book lists you might enjoy are...

- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/welcome/bibliography
- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/fun-stuff/art-s-book-list

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GBtortoises said:

A must have, however it is no longer in publication.

Long Island Greek

5 Year Member
Long Island New York
ALDABRAMAN said:
GBtortoises said:

Yeah used ones are for sale on amazon but they do not come cheap sadly =(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Bonin's book is really not bad- in fact, it is translated from the French by... wait for it... Dr. Pritchard!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Long Island Greek said:
ALDABRAMAN said:
GBtortoises said:

Yeah used ones are for sale on amazon but they do not come cheap sadly =(

But well worth the investment money for all those pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.