Tortoise ate my indoor plant

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
I have a philodendron indoor plant in my tortoise enclosure. I know their not that poisonous but I'm freaking out as I am newer to owning a tortoise and he decided to take a couple bites of it. Should I be worried?? Posted a photo to what it looks like

??ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1505764449.361619.jpg

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
The Tortoise Table says that it is toxic, and has tiny sharp crystals:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=520&c=5#.WcAlAsZryUk

To possibility lubricate and dislodge the some of the crystals stuck in his throat, I would feed him some succulents, and give him a long soak ASAP. Perhaps it would be a good idea to bring him to a vet if you see any symptoms of poisoning.

Also, read this article about poisoning:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-health/poisoning/#.WcAmccZryUk

Let's ask @Yvonne G for help.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Unless your tort ate the entire plant I'm sure he'll be ok. Our Sully seeks this out regardless of how much grass, weeds, dandelions or hay that he's had. Never an issue. Tort table says toxic to mammals, unclear on reptilies. From my experience, no hsrm to torts. BUT, I'll make sure no more nibbling...

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
Unless your tort ate the entire plant I'm sure he'll be ok. Our Sully seeks this out regardless of how much grass, weeds, dandelions or hay that he's had. Never an issue. Tort table says toxic to mammals, unclear on reptilies. From my experience, no hsrm to torts. BUT, I'll make sure no more nibbling...
Ah, I possibly overreacted a bit.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
That plant is "pothos" - Epipremnum aureum , not a Philodendron. They are not really dangerously toxic, and have very little of the oxalic acid crystals that are worrisome.
Pothos is widely used in animal environments and few problems have been documented. One lizard feeds almost exclusively on this in the wild.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
That plant is "pothos" - Epipremnum aureum , not a Philodendron. They are not really dangerously toxic, and have very little of the oxalic acid crystals that are worrisome.
Pothos is widely used in animal environments and few problems have been documented. One lizard feeds almost exclusively on this in the wild.
Could you please tell me what lizard that is? Just curious. Iguana?