Tortoise beaks hurt ouch

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Fed my tortoise some aloe, I wanted to see how strong or if my russian tortoise had a hard bite, and he clamped on pretty good to my finger as I was holding the snack! Ouch!!!! Anyone else realize how sharp/strong their bite is

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nope I have managed to keep fingers out of the way and they have not attempted to bite my toes.
I'm safe assuming it's not pleasant. Be my leopards or russian.

Quadro

SC
I’ve never been bitten by my torts I have wondered about it though ? I have also had a few close calls with toes . I’m sure some of them can take fingers or toes off given the size of the beaks and the size of the tort .

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
One of my russians is so gluttonous (Is that the word lol?) that if I go over to the pen and put my hand in, she will run over and start chomping haha. All my others will smell before eating, she doesn't and just eats everything. She also is the least picky eater lol. But yeah, it does hurt a bit but they usually realize your'e not food and release very quickly.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Fed my tortoise some aloe, I wanted to see how strong or if my russian tortoise had a hard bite, and he clamped on pretty good to my finger as I was holding the snack! Ouch!!!! Anyone else realize how sharp/strong their bite is
So are you saying you let him bite you to see how it feels? Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I spend all day every day avoiding getting bitten by all sorts of wild animals. I think tortoises might be the easiest animal ever to avoid getting bitten by. I don't understand how so many people know what a tortoise bite feels like. I don't. I have no idea. Its NEVER happened to me.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Yes. Many times. Nile monitors too. Rhino iguanas. Pissy snakes. Super charged tegus in the sun... No bites from them either.
Just watch out for those quick, athletic torts

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I spend all day every day avoiding getting bitten by all sorts of wild animals. I think tortoises might be the easiest animal ever to avoid getting bitten by. I don't understand how so many people know what a tortoise bite feels like. I don't. I have no idea. Its NEVER happened to me.
I let the piece of radicchio get too small. I stupidly had my finger way too close, so he chomped it. He did not bite from aggression. I guess you could say I offered it to him! Learned my lesson!

JonM

Devon, UK
Never been bitten by our Russian tortoise, although been close, you just need quick reactions or don't hand feed

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I let the piece of radicchio get too small. I stupidly had my finger way too close, so he chomped it. He did not bite from aggression. I guess you could say I offered it to him! Learned my lesson!
That is exactly what I did!! But I also had gloves on cleaning out his tank and handed him a piece of aloe

Lindalee7

Miami,Florida
Haha yep!! My two 1 1/2 year old Russians try to eat my toes on a regular basis. They got me twice by surprise... it HURTS!! ??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Ouch!!! How big is your Sulcata?
Big Sam is abt 50 pounds....he didn't bite out of meanness...he was just curious...here he is chasing me across his pen with a dandelion plant in his mouth...sorry it's blurry, but it's hard running backward and he can move fast!!!054.JPG055.JPG