Tortoise bottom shell soft don’t know if this is normal ?

Andrew01

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas Nevada
That could definitely be a problem. Be sure that you’re supplementing food with calcium, and I would even use calcium with D3. Get a proper UVB bulb ASAP. This could very well be metabolic bone disease.
Is there any bulb I can get instead of a tube ? Since I don’t have a cover on top ?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Is there any bulb I can get instead of a tube ? Since I don’t have a cover on top ?
It’s actually better that it doesn’t have a top. Mesh screens block out half of the uvb. Alternatively, you can take it outside daily if your weather is warm enough.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
It’s actually better that it doesn’t have a top. Mesh screens block out half of the uvb. Alternatively, you can take it outside daily if your weather is warm enough.
I can take it out some times for now because of the events that our happening more often now then in the long run, how long outside ? I know they are supposed to get 10-12 hours of the uvb light.
So I would need the tube light uvb and instead of a clamp I use what it goes into and I can put it on top of my tank ?
and should I use some of “ zoo med cypress mulch “ to help keep moisture inside?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I can take it out some times for now because of the events that our happening more often now then in the long run, how long outside ? I know they are supposed to get 10-12 hours of the uvb light.
So I would need the tube light uvb and instead of a clamp I use what it goes into and I can put it on top of my tank ?
and should I use some of “ zoo med cypress mulch “ to help keep moisture inside?
The general rule of thumb is 1 hour per inch of shell. Yes, you get a UVB hood, and keep the long, horizontal tube uvb inside. Make sure it is not a compact/coil. The substrate you have now is great for humidity, but you have to pour a pitcher of water in and mix it around.

it can’t just be any weed. It was to be edible, and not be treated with anything. If you go to our diet and plant identification sub forum, check the stickies are the top. It has a list of safe plants to feed.

A few you can probably find are dandelion (leaves, not just the flower), henbit, thistle, maybe filaree, Grape vine, kidney weed, and geranium. If you find a weed you can’t identify, ask the forum, or try describing it to google and looking through pictures.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
Okay i
The general rule of thumb is 1 hour per inch of shell. Yes, you get a UVB hood, and keep the long, horizontal tube uvb inside. Make sure it is not a compact/coil. The substrate you have now is great for humidity, but you have to pour a pitcher of water in and mix it around.

it can’t just be any weed. It was to be edible, and not be treated with anything. If you go to our diet and plant identification sub forum, check the stickies are the top. It has a list of safe plants to feed.

A few you can probably find are dandelion (leaves, not just the flower), henbit, thistle, maybe filaree, Grape vine, kidney weed, and geranium. If you find a weed you can’t identify, ask the forum, or try describing it to google and looking through pictures.
okay so I poured water inside this time instead of spraying and I will post a pic of the weeds I have

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada

Okay so I want to get the light fixture now and so I was looking at the “Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8 Fluorescent Fixture” do you think that is a good fixture for my 20 gallon tank?

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
And with no steel caged hood on top
I was thinking putting it a mix of vertical and horizontal so basically like straight Up but half way To the right so a good majority of the tank gets uvb, if my tortoise does have the weak shell disease ( im to lazy to look up exactly what’s the name ) and I get the correct uvb light will he get better ?

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
I was thinking putting it a mix of vertical and horizontal so basically like straight Up but half way To the right so a good majority of the tank gets uvb, if my tortoise does have the weak shell disease ( im to lazy to look up exactly what’s the name ) and I get the correct uvb light will he get better ?
And also if it’s above water is it harmful ? That’s what it’s saying on the petco website for the fixture

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
What type of species it’s it? The black coloring doesn’t look normal, probably because it don’t know what species it is. Is it eating and pooping?
Can you scroll down to page 2 and go down and answer the question I asked a other person on the post please? I am trying to purchase the light in a hour but he hasn’t replied yet

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
The uvb light needs to be mounted horizontally above the Tortoise. If you stick the uvb light in the enclosure vertically you will fry your Tortoises eyeballs. Unfortunately, looking at the picture, your Tortoise does not look well at all.

Andrew01

Las Vegas Nevada
The uvb light needs to be mounted horizontally above the Tortoise. If you stick the uvb light in the enclosure vertically you will fry your Tortoises eyeballs. Unfortunately, looking at the picture, your Tortoise does not look well at all.
You think this is okay ?

Attachments

• 14F4B6C6-B9AE-4017-90AB-C078539FADE0.jpeg
    14F4B6C6-B9AE-4017-90AB-C078539FADE0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12