Tortoise box

Sundvl

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
while my guy is still inside for another 4 months or so before going out for the summer (Phoenix) he is in a traditional tortoise box that most companies sell. Hide in one side and screen on another. What’s the best way to keep the humid up in that type. Don’t want my guy pyramiding and someone here said it’s starting to happen. I soak him two - three times a week with water up to his bottom shell by his mouth. I lost him a few times a week as well

08326DC8-3097-456F-861A-3F4B605C47F6.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You need a closed chamber enclosure with very little ventilation, a substrate with a pitcher of water mixed in (not just sprayed), and I would soak daily to get the pyramiding to stop. You can try putting plastic wrap and tin foil over the grating on the enclosure with holes for the lights for now, until you can build a proper enclosure.

Sundvl

Phoenix
If this enclosure is specifically for tortoises why would he need a better one? My thought was cover the screen as suggested and this summer put him out 24/7 until it gets too cold which in Arizona is probably October

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If this enclosure is specifically for tortoises why would he need a better one? My thought was cover the screen as suggested and this summer put him out 24/7 until it gets too cold which in Arizona is probably October

You’d be surprised how many terrible products get peddled out for reptiles. Calcium sand that neutralizes stomach acids and causes impaction recommended for “desert” animals, toxic cedar and pine chips for bedding, “invisible” red lights for night that reptiles can see, etc. The zoo med tortoise house is sadly one of them. It’s a huge waste of money, molds with damp substrate or high humidity, and lets out heat and humidity through the open top. While all of these products were made for reptiles, it’s better not to use them.

Your tortoise should only be living outside full time once he reaches 8-10 inches. Until then, he should be living in a (preferably) 8x4 foot closed chamber.

Sundvl

Phoenix
You’d be surprised how many terrible products get peddled out for reptiles. Calcium sand that neutralizes stomach acids and causes impaction recommended for “desert” animals, toxic cedar and pine chips for bedding, “invisible” red lights for night that reptiles can see, etc. The zoo med tortoise house is sadly one of them. It’s a huge waste of money, molds with damp substrate or high humidity, and lets out heat and humidity through the open top. While all of these products were made for reptiles, it’s better not to use them.

Your tortoise should only be living outside full time once he reaches 8-10 inches. Until then, he should be living in a (preferably) 8x4 foot closed chamber.

I always thought it seemed off to have a wooden container lol

Would a huge plastic enclosure work. I know it holds humidity perfect when I had snakes just jsut sure where I’d put the uV light

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I always thought it seemed off to have a wooden container lol

Would a huge plastic enclosure work. I know it holds humidity perfect when I had snakes just jsut sure where I’d put the uV light

Yes, but your tortoise is already too large for (or will quickly grow out of) even a 50 gallon. If you are to use tubs, I would suggest connecting multiple together.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum.

I agree with @TechnoCheese as far soaks are concerned. I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry. Therefore I soak Oli daily.

Sundvl

Phoenix
Ok. I will start soaking daily. I poured a good amount of water in the bedding and mixed it up plus sprayed the bedding and soaked him and covered all of the top I could with a towel

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Can you line the enclosure with plastic and add a top to it? Hate to see the wood get damaged.

Sundvl

Phoenix
I have the bottom lined with plastic. I added a few bottles of water and mixed it up plus sprayed the cage a few times today and soaked him. I tried mazuri pelleted soaked today again and this time he is eating it along with fresh grass clippings. I’ll see how it looks when I get home in the morning lol

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I have the bottom lined with plastic. I added a few bottles of water and mixed it up plus sprayed the cage a few times today and soaked him. I tried mazuri pelleted soaked today again and this time he is eating it along with fresh grass clippings. I’ll see how it looks when I get home in the morning lol
YAY!

Sundvl

Phoenix
Thanks for the help. I’ll plan on soaking him more often from now on. Maybe daily

Sundvl

Phoenix
I’ll try that for a while. I also covered the majority of the cage with a towel which should help a bit. I will build a humid hide with eco earth this weekend and that should help tremendously

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Make sure your heating devices are positioned as to not harm your tort, nor to cause fire damage to your towel. Got any aluminum foil you can use instead? Just a thought.

Sundvl

Phoenix
Ok. When I soak him I put him in a plastic container and fill the water up to his bottom shell. Is that fine?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Ok. When I soak him I put him in a plastic container and fill the water up to his bottom shell. Is that fine?
Yep. I usually sit my tub near a heat source (not directly beneath it!) to keep the water warm.