Tortoise breaks down fence and escapes

Location (City and/or State)
United States
So apparently a sulcata broken down some of his care takers fence and got away. But luckily they were able to find him within a few hours. Sulcatas are just like a dog lol.

Runaway tortoise gives SC museum a scare but 'he looks like he enjoyed his time out' | The State

Screenshot%202018-05-03%2021.31.59.jpg

LOCAL
Runaway tortoise gives SC museum a scare but 'he looks like he enjoyed his time out'
BY NOAH FEIT

May 04, 2018 06:25 AM

After the story of "The Tortoise and the Hare," it should be a given not to underestimate the creatures with protective shells on their backs.

But one well-known South Carolina tortoise took an opportunity to refresh the lesson Thursday.

Imhotep, a 25-pound sulcata tortoise who is one of the most popular attractions at the Spartanburg Science Center, was lost for several hours after escaping from a fenced in yard, foxcarolina reported.

Like a dog off a leash, Imhotep took advantage of some unexpected freedom when he left the property of Spartanburg Science Center Educational Program Director Peter Lembcke Thursday morning, according to wspa

Lembcke often brings Imhotep home with him to give the tortoise more room to graze than he has at the Science Center, goupstate reported.

But this time Imhotep tore down a portion of Lembcke's fence and escaped, according to foxcarolina.

Imhotep went on a wild ride, at least his version of one.

Over the course of a number of hours, he went through nearly five yards, putting about 100 yards between himself and Lembcke's house before being spotted in the front yard of a neighboring home, wspa reported.

“He looks good. Actually really good," Lembcke said, according to goupstate. "He’d been having some leg issues, but he looks like he enjoyed his time out. He’s walking up high like a normal sulcata should.”

In all seriousness, Lembcke said he feared for Imhotep's safety.

The tortoise can't swim and Lembcke was afraid if a stranger found Imhotep before he did, it was possible someone with good intentions might drop him in a creek, wspa reported.

Fortunately that did not happen, and Imhotep, who's between 5-15 years old, was back at the Science Center in the afternoon, strutting his stuff, according to goupstate

“He’s basically a rambunctious teenager,” Jennifer Hoy, the Science Center’s executive director, told foxcarolina

“I think he’s enjoying making a gigantic mess, but I’m fine with that," Lembcke said to goupstate, adding he plans to have his damaged fence fixed to prevent any more wild, runaway days from Imhotep.

Last edited:

Jay Bagley

Michigan
So apparently a sulcata broken down some of his care takers fence and got away. But luckily they were able to find him within a few hours. Sulcatas are just like a dog lol.

Runaway tortoise gives SC museum a scare but 'he looks like he enjoyed his time out' | The State

Screenshot%202018-05-03%2021.31.59.jpg

LOCAL
Runaway tortoise gives SC museum a scare but 'he looks like he enjoyed his time out'
BY NOAH FEIT

May 04, 2018 06:25 AM

After the story of "The Tortoise and the Hare," it should be a given not to underestimate the creatures with protective shells on their backs.

But one well-known South Carolina tortoise took an opportunity to refresh the lesson Thursday.

Imhotep, a 25-pound sulcata tortoise who is one of the most popular attractions at the Spartanburg Science Center, was lost for several hours after escaping from a fenced in yard, foxcarolina reported.

Like a dog off a leash, Imhotep took advantage of some unexpected freedom when he left the property of Spartanburg Science Center Educational Program Director Peter Lembcke Thursday morning, according to wspa

Lembcke often brings Imhotep home with him to give the tortoise more room to graze than he has at the Science Center, goupstate reported.

But this time Imhotep tore down a portion of Lembcke's fence and escaped, according to foxcarolina.

Imhotep went on a wild ride, at least his version of one.

Over the course of a number of hours, he went through nearly five yards, putting about 100 yards between himself and Lembcke's house before being spotted in the front yard of a neighboring home, wspa reported.

“He looks good. Actually really good," Lembcke said, according to goupstate. "He’d been having some leg issues, but he looks like he enjoyed his time out. He’s walking up high like a normal sulcata should.”

In all seriousness, Lembcke said he feared for Imhotep's safety.

The tortoise can't swim and Lembcke was afraid if a stranger found Imhotep before he did, it was possible someone with good intentions might drop him in a creek, wspa reported.

Fortunately that did not happen, and Imhotep, who's between 5-15 years old, was back at the Science Center in the afternoon, strutting his stuff, according to goupstate

“He’s basically a rambunctious teenager,” Jennifer Hoy, the Science Center’s executive director, told foxcarolina

“I think he’s enjoying making a gigantic mess, but I’m fine with that," Lembcke said to goupstate, adding he plans to have his damaged fence fixed to prevent any more wild, runaway days from Imhotep.

Cool story, thanks for sharing.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Glad they got him back. But I thought they could swim??? Is it that when they get too heavy and large, they will sink?

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Thanks for sharing. It's always good when someone finds an escaped tort. I'm no sulcata expert but at 5-15 years old, should he be having leg issues already?? :confused: Those pictures look like a much older tort to me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Glad they got him back. But I thought they could swim??? Is it that when they get too heavy and large, they will sink?
if they have enough air inside their carapace, they can float. Sulcatas and leopards come to mind, but some with flatter carapaces, sink like a stone (desert tortoises come to mind).

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
if they have enough air inside their carapace, they can float. Sulcatas and leopards come to mind, but some with flatter carapaces, sink like a stone (desert tortoises come to mind).
I actually watched a sulcata "swim" at the Detroit Zoo once. I just stopped like I'd hit a wall and stared. I had never seen a tort swim before! :D