• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
When you are searching, selling, or just browsing for tortoises, which site to you prefer?

1) KINGSNAKE

2) FAUNA

3) ANOTHER

4) NONE

I tend to use both Kingsnake and Fauna equally when browsing or searching. I use Fauna when selling.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Greg, I don't peruse for turtle or tortoise :D I am the lady that takes the ones no one wants any longer or displaced or just are in need....... so had to poll none.......I would be in MAJOR trouble if I started purchasing them also....I think the phrase "crazy tortoise lady" :rolleyes: would start to be slung around.....lol :p

Grigor.Love.

5 Year Member
NY
ascott said:
Greg, I don't peruse for turtle or tortoise :D I am the lady that takes the ones no one wants any longer or displaced or just are in need....... so had to poll none.......I would be in MAJOR trouble if I started purchasing them also....I think the phrase "crazy tortoise lady" :rolleyes: would start to be slung around.....lol :p

I'm in the same boat.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I use KS and FC about equally when browsing/seeking new tortoises. FC slightly more for turtles than tortoises.

When selling, I have used FC and kijiji. The problem with kijiji, for me, is that I will mainly receive a lot of responses either that 1) show that people did not read the details of my ad or 2) are people seeking something for nothing or nearly so.

I see quite a few fake rescues, too, but that is an extension into another topic.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Personally, as both seller and buyer, I've seen traffic drop off dramatically at the "popular" Reptile classifieds........I've seen traffic rise through the individual Forums and Facebook, so it seems to that the dynamic has changed a bit.......

Most of my Sales do come through Kingsnake, but I've seen it drop off 40% plus this year.......

It just goes to show, that in this Business you have to be fluid and roll with it if you want to stay viable.......

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I've looked at Kingsnake. The thing that bothers me is that some ( a lot) of people that advertise there don't bother to update their write-ups before re-posting new ads. They show pictures of tortoises they don't have, or just show a representative photo instead of the ones that are for sale, expecting someone to order sight unseen. That is poor advertising. They re-use the same write-up for a new ad and it won't even agree with the title of their ad, such as "2010 Hatchlings for Sale", and then the write-up will say "hatched in 2011," etc. etc. etc. Ugh.... Would much rather deal with someone on the forum!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Craigslist looking for unwanted turtles and tortoises.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
While I look at Kingsnake...and a few others...I ONLY buy from respected breeders...usually those that I already know.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
DesertGrandma said:
I've looked at Kingsnake. The thing that bothers me is that some ( a lot) of people that advertise there don't bother to update their write-ups before re-posting new ads. They show pictures of tortoises they don't have, or just show a representative photo instead of the ones that are for sale, expecting someone to order sight unseen. That is poor advertising. They re-use the same write-up for a new ad and it won't even agree with the title of their ad, such as "2010 Hatchlings for Sale", and then the write-up will say "hatched in 2011," etc. etc. etc. Ugh.... Would much rather deal with someone on the forum!!

Indeed.

I am bothered even more by blatant misrepresentation by some vendors.

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't have a particular site that I look on. I ask here on the forum. When I got Wilbur, I just googled baby sulcata torts.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I do more Kingsnake then any where. I also agree about how lousy the ads can be in there. Plus I am one of those, if you won't show me the actual pictures of what I will be getting, then I will not be buying the animal.

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
I search both kingsnake and fauna daily but think kingsnake is best, though I am not looking to buy daily I just love to see whats for sale and kingsnake breaks em down by species

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Mostly Craigslist, since it would be local. I'll occasionally browse Kingsnake but it's really just looking since I'm not a fan of shipping live animals or buying one sight unseen.

Status
Not open for further replies.