Tortoise Closed Enclosure - Temps Spiking randomly

AngusMcKay

Location (City and/or State)
Mission Viejo, CA
Howdy Everyone,

This is my first post besides my introduction. I have a 40 gallon Terrarium setup, and have a CHE 100 watt and a MVB for my basking lamp. I recently changed my substrate to coco coir layered beneath Repti Bark. I poured in a ton of water to soak the coir, and the repti bark, and sprayed a ton over the bark about 20 times to saturate and keep humidity up. Since changing the substrate I have noticed my ambient temperatures going to 110 degrees and I am concerned because like an idiot, I didn't set my CHE up on a thermostat. anyhow, I am at work and my ambient temp under the CHE and heat lamp have spiked to 115, his hide, I am assuming because I keep it on a thermostat is just below 98 degrees. are these safe temps for a Hatchling Sulcata? the reason I raised the temps to begin with was because I noticed on saturady some bubbling from his nose after a bath. to avoid any potential respiratory infections, and to help with raising humidity which is usually about 70 to 80%. he has definitely improved since the increase, but I am concerned and, unfortunately too far to go back and turn it down. my wife will be there in about 1 hour to turn off the CHE until I get home and spray him down. how long can a sully live in these temps. should I just leave work and go get the little guy? I am concerned and like everyone else that cares about their tortoises, am doing my best to raise the little guy, looking for some reassurance I guess.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hhhm, ambient at those temps is pretty high AND since you don’t have it on a thermostat it will only continue to increase. Those little guys are pretty fragile at that hatchling age and quick to overheat if it’s all at those levels.

Id go home, you will be kicking urself if things go way downhill.

Get a thermostat hooked up to that CHE!

Good luck, hurry home

AngusMcKay

Mission Viejo, CA
Hhhm, ambient at those temps is pretty high AND since you don’t have it on a thermostat it will only continue to increase. Those little guys are pretty fragile at that hatchling age and quick to overheat if it’s all at those levels.

Id go home, you will be kicking urself if things go way downhill.

Get a thermostat hooked up to that CHE!

Good luck, hurry home

Thank you for the encouragement, i drove home yesterday and put the CHE on the thermostat at 97 degrees. i think that is suitable for now. To be honest i think the little guy was sick when i got him. im going to hit up a Herp Vet just to check him out. i am a little bummed out because traveling with a Hatch-ling, and keeping him warm to and from the Vet will be a challenge but think i can get it figured out. just dont want to stress the little guy out any more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the encouragement, i drove home yesterday and put the CHE on the thermostat at 97 degrees. i think that is suitable for now. To be honest i think the little guy was sick when i got him. im going to hit up a Herp Vet just to check him out. i am a little bummed out because traveling with a Hatch-ling, and keeping him warm to and from the Vet will be a challenge but think i can get it figured out. just dont want to stress the little guy out any more.
Don't bother with a vet. Most of them make things worse and almost none of them know anything about baby tortoises or the necessary care routine.

Get conditions correct and the baby will sort itself out. If it doesn't sort itself out, it was never going to survive in the first.

80-85 for the ambient, day and night. 95-100 directly under the basking bulb. Ambient can creep into the low 90 or highs 80s mid day.

AngusMcKay

Mission Viejo, CA
Don't bother with a vet. Most of them make things worse and almost none of them know anything about baby tortoises or the necessary care routine.

Get conditions correct and the baby will sort itself out. If it doesn't sort itself out, it was never going to survive in the first.

80-85 for the ambient, day and night. 95-100 directly under the basking bulb. Ambient can creep into the low 90 or highs 80s mid day.

Thanks Tom, I will do just that!