Tortoise dead in egg or hatched too early

salva

Today one of my wood turtle eggs "hatched" and the tortoise was not totally formed. I didn't witness the moment at which it opened, and noticed because it stinked really bad. I'm wondering whether the tortoise was already dead from a while ago and just today the egg opened because of the gases or some other reason, or if the egg just opened too early while the tortoise was still developing. My dad still thinks it is savable and has put it in damp towels as suggested by other threads he researched, but I think that it is too late. I'm wondering whether this is a wasted effort (because of the strong rotten smell) or if the tortoise can continue developing. Thanks for any help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it stinks, it's too late. Most likely it exploded/opened from the gases. If your dad wants to try, it won't hurt anything. However it's not going to work with a stinky egg.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it smelled, chances are it died a while ago and the egg popped open due to expanding gasses. Too bad that happened.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I've a feeling it's dead.....sorry.:( Condolences.

And welcome to the forum.:)

Julie M

So sorry you lost this one. I lost one recently too, so upsetting when you put so much effort into it. Condolences