Tortoise Decided to Eat an Onion

Mackinz

Title says it. I woke up this morning to move my tortoise out of the rain and found she smelled like onion. After putting her in her dry shelter, I looked over in the flowerbed and noted that an onion had been bitten into quite a bit. I pulled it up and threw it away, but not before snapping some pictures.

IMG_20150609_142841.jpg IMG_20150609_142839.jpg

My tortoise seems fine for now, chomping away at her actual food, but I am not sure what I should do now since I am a relatively new tortoise owner and the info I have read online has indicated that onions are toxic to tortoises.

What should I do now? Call a vet?

My tortoise:
IMG_20150609_142850.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Onions aren't toxic to tortoises. I have fed small amounts mixed in with left over salads to mine for years. Red, white and green onions. We have a wild onion variety that grows here too and my tortoises eat that all up as well.

I would soak your tortoise every day for a while and not worry too much about it.

Mackinz

By the looks of your avatar, you keep much larger tortoises, however, so there may be a higher difference in size of onion to body weight of tortoise. Mine is maybe three times the size of the onion I showed, and she ate quite a bit off of the bulb. While your post is somewhat reassuring, I am still worried, so I put her in a larger soaking container to soak in today.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My little Greek Tidgy won't eat onion, she hates the smell, I think, but another tortoise in my district ate some and got terrible wind and diarrhoea, so I never offer it.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=629
is also rather negative, so I, personally wouldn't risk any more in the future.
Having said that, Tom has a huge amount of experience with many different types and sizes of tortoise, so I wouldn't panic, as the Tortoise Table does seem to be basing it's opinion on the effects on other species of animal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well I wouldn't offer a whole raw onion as a meal, but eating some isn't toxic.

I also keep russians and many other species. Many of my tortoises are small and they all eat onion in small amounts.

I hope your tortoise is fine. That the appetite is still three is a good sign. You might offer some cucumber or romaine lettuce to push the onion through and dilute it a bit. Most tortoises will pig out on romaine. That and daily soaks will help push it through faster.

Hilda1221

Phoenix
Onions aren't toxic to tortoises. I have fed small amounts mixed in with left over salads to mine for years. Red, white and green onions. We have a wild onion variety that grows here too and my tortoises eat that all up as well.

I would soak your tortoise every day for a while and not worry too much about it.
Can they eat only the green part of the green onions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can they eat only the green part of the green onions?
I wouldn't intentionally feed them any kind or any part of any onion. They can eat it, but I don't think its a good tortoise food.